Old receipts, not safe to delete them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nout72, Sep 20, 2009.

1. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Every update of Quicktime, iPhoto, iWeb, iDVD etc. the system will write a new receipt but keeps the previous receipts.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wouldn't it be enough to keep the last written receipt and delete the old ones?
    If a receipt is meant to tell the system what needs to be updated, why would there be any need to keep this ridiculous 'version history', only the last receipt is needed, isn't it?

Or am I forgetting something?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't delete them, besides, how much space do they actually consume. Probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

In fact there's some folders I choose not to touch, and that's one of them. Start deleting stuff from system folders and you run the risk of making the system unstable.

3. nout72 thread starter macrumors regular

nout72

Well the folder Receipts consumes 696,9 MB.
    The size of a compressed movie.

Each receipt of an application is about 5MB.

Is it much?
    Relatively speaking? I think ehm...well yes, each .pkg has about the size of an MP3.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And by the same token /System takes up around 4gb (on sl) Is that a lot, well yes do you want to go and delete that as well - of course not. The same goes for the receipts folder. If you want to risk having problems go ahead and delete it. If you're that tight on space, I'd recommend that you upgrade your HD over deleting folders/files that are typically needed/used by the system.

Just my $.02.

5. nout72 thread starter macrumors regular

nout72

Well no, I don't want to risk it, that's why I posted this question in the first place.
    But thanks anyway :)

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I deleted a lot of them and it didn't seem to affect me adversely. Heck I had to delete one cause the stupid program wasn't updating properly.

I don't even know what they are for? Maybe when you look at the installed updates, that's about it? I probably wouldn't delete them again if I had a choice unless it was to fix a bug.