Old school apple on the back of a unibody macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Daveecee, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Daveecee macrumors regular

Earlier today when I was working at the IT help desk for my school, someone came in with a Unibody Macbook and the glowing apple on the back had one of those rainbow inserts to make it look like the old school Apple. How is this possible? I thought it wasn't supported for the new Unibody models?

Anybody have info on this? He told me it only took 10 minutes to install and he spent $5 but didn't remember the website or anything.

EDIT: And for the record, I am pretty sure this wasn't a sticker. There didn't seem to be a way to peel it off, and it moved slightly like an insert would. I'm assuming it's an insert from http://icolours.ca/ but they provide no instructions for the new models

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

3. vpjayant macrumors newbie

"New MacBook/MacBook Pro
    Currently Not Supported"

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Where, on that particular page that I linked to, does it say that? It's a sticker. You stick it on the logo.

The original icolour inserts are not supported due to the extremely difficult disassembly of the Unibody MacBooks, but a sticker? Really?

5. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

Whoa, that looks sweet! I think I'm going to have to do that the second my warranty runs out on my MacBook next month. Me gusta mucho.

6. foothead macrumors regular

I did it on my iBook G4. Go here to see my post. hope it helps.
    http://www.macmod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3455
    I just printed it onto a piece of tissue paper. Measure the apple on your macbook, and then use a photo editing program to make it very slightly taller, and about 1/2 inch wider. then, cut it out, and tape it in. You could also use clear plastic, but I didn't have any.
    BTW, to print onto tissue, tape the tissue onto printer paper on the edges and print. Then cut around the tape, and it will be free. Hope this helps.:D

7. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I really want to do a red apple on my macbook, but doubt i'll actually ever get round to it. My warranty is up, and I have the cracks on the keyboard bit so might just fix that first. I did actually wonder about doing a bit of black and white, but we will see.

The coloured apple's look great though I think.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'll wait for them to have the stickers available in other colours, then I will probably buy it.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sorry bud, but that's quite a 'fail' if I've ever seen one...

10. Daveecee thread starter macrumors regular

So that's a no-go on modding the unibody, eh? I wonder how this kid did it....

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

It's a shame you didn't ask him. I would have loved to know. Especially since it seems damn near impossible to do if you're not a tech from the breakdown videos I've seen on YouTube.