Old School DieHard

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zephyrnoid, Nov 21, 2010.

1. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

I'll spare you the Gory details but...
    I want to know which is the OLDEST version of Photoshop that will run on an Intel MacBook running Leopard. When I say 'old' I mean either legacy Photoshop or the CS series. My 'Old School' trick is based on the experience that the oldest versions of a software, typically occupied the smallest disc space. I just need 24bit environment but need all by usual PS tools.
    Thanks!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Photoshop 7 was the first OS X compatible version of Photoshop, running on PPC Macs which might just run through Rosetta, if you have it installed and performance isn't an issue.

Version 7 was what I stayed on for a few years through G4s and G5s at home and work. After that, you have CS(1) which was our next upgrade, still running on G5 PowerMacs. Either of those might be a place to start, but I have no experience of running Photoshop through Rosetta and can't imagine it would be that nimble.

What's the typical file (size) that you'd be working on?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I had CS2 running under Rosetta for a while before I got CS3. It took quite a while to start up but once it was running it was OK. The extra power of a modern Intel CPU over the aged G5 more-or-less makes up for the translation drag of Rosetta.

4. zephyrnoid thread starter macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Thanks for the info so far. Sounds like Photoshop 7 would run on my MacBook with Leopard. But what is Rosetta and is it an API? Is it built in? Life has been tough running Photoshop 6 via Carbon on my PowerBook G4 (Tiger) but like I said, I run stuff into the ground before upgrading. Max PS file size on the road is around 100- 125 MB. They all get rez'd down for screen to build this....
    www,gearninja.com
    So again if Rosetta is part of Leopard I'm OK or what?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Rosetta is a dynamic CPU instruction set emulation. It lets you execute Power PC software on Intel Macs. it's built into Leopard and an optional install on Snow Leopard.

6. Designer Dale, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

An api is many different things. It can be a set of tools released by an OS maker to application developers. It allows them to write their programs so that they will interact with the OS or other software correctly. API's communicate software-to-software and aren't seen by the end user.

Rosetta is an API released by Apple and included on most Intel Macs. I can't find it on my 08 MBP. Rosetta lets Intel Macs read software written for Motorola (G3, G4, G5) processors.

There are inherent differences between Intel and Moto chips. Intel chips are cisc (Complex Instruction Set Computing) while Moto chips are/were risc (Reduced Instruction Set Computing). They manage math differently and can't read each other's native program language. Thus the need for Rosetta.

Here are a bunch of links on both. Start the last one at the third paragraph.

Rosetta
    Rosetta
    Rosetta

API
    API

Dale