Old school help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dantak, Feb 5, 2008.

1. dantak macrumors newbie

I have a G4 with 2 hard drives on my network just sitting there taking up space. So, I thought I would turn it into a file server and backup for my iMac. I went to install Mac OS X server on it with my iMac in firewire target disk mode but when the G4 restarted I got the flashing question mark for a few minutes then it boots into jaguar. I thought there must be an error with the system folder on the G4 so I repaired disk permissions, but that didn't work. So, I thought I would reinstall jaguar and get to the bottom of it. But when I try to reinstall jaguar with the CD in the G4 I get the exact same problem!!! Flashing question mark and startup into the old Jaguar. I can't start the G4 from the CD or in target disk mode. Do you have any idea what I can do...I'm at my wits end.

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I might be wrong, but i think that the Sever installer needs to be in the computer you are trying to install it on.

See i think that when you have you disc in your iMac, and are trying to install it to the G4, the G4 gets disconnected when it reboots [since it is acting just like an external Firewire HD when in Target Disk Mode]. Most OS X installers don't allow you to remotely install the OS.

i think i might be wrong about this though.

3. dantak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help but that is almost certainly not my problem. Apple reccomends this method of installation when installing on computers without a DVD drive and it doesn't explain why I get the same error when I try to reinstall jaguar from the cd in the G4. Any other ideas, anyone?

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i don't know, i'm kind of stumpt.

I wonder if you borrowed a DVD-ROM drive form someone, tried to install again using that, then put your old drive back in; if that would work either?