Old School MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phalewhale, Oct 16, 2008.

1. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Went to the Sheffield Apple Store tonight since it is the closest one to me. Checked out the new MBP's - wow - they are gorgeous. However I simply cannot get away with the glass covered screen! The reflections in the store were so bad it was unreal. They sales guy even said they were terrible! This coming from an Apple Sales Rep! Anyway, I managed to get one of the "Old School" MBP's (previously £1299) including Applecare and an 8GB iPod Nano for only £1006!

Bargain and Result! - plus I have a matt screen which I can pretty much use any time, any place or any where and not worry about stupid feckin reflections and inaccurate colours. Fair enough, the hardware is more dated but will I notice a difference? I'd say not.

2. Nedturskakao macrumors member

WTF!?! I have only heard people said the opposit, omg, i ordered on their homepage, haven't seen it in real life yet! Really don't hope the reflection is as bad as you say:s!!

3. Urenstaat macrumors newbie

I'm afraid phakebrill is right. I also went to an Apple Store, looked at the screen and could see the lighting from the ceiling reflected in the screen. It looked pretty aweful. Next to the new MacBook Pro was a 17-inch MacBook Pro; I loved that matte screen; it provides a very even and non distracting image.

I went home and ordered a new 'old' 15-inch MacBook Pro for a nice discount (380 euro's (511 USD) cheaper than the new one).

4. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

so does everyone need to make a thread when they buy a new computer? i shall remember this if i ever get one...

5. magallanes macrumors regular

Because everyone want to share their happiness, for good or bad almost any macbook is mainly a toy for grown up boys.

6. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

You have a chance to get a new product and you get an old model.. ew. What a waste of money. Your loss, enjoy.

PS, I'm surprised you people don't complain about the glass screen on the iPod and start demanding matte there too.

7. doctoree macrumors 6502

I don't like the new Laptops. The high precision and the cool stuff inside DO rock but I hate the glare screen, not having a 17inch model, the screen being sourrounded by distracting black borders, the two-coloured-ness of the whole laptop and the less simple form. And where is quadcore,umts and bluray?

I'm very very happy with my Feb 08 Penryn 17inch Matte MBP, and since the release of the new ones I'm even more happy with it.

Doc

8. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

What is the point of having a blu-ray player if downloadable HD movies are going to win the war? Sure its nice to have a hard copy of your movies so they aren't filling up your harddrive, but just buy a Terrabyte. You can get HUGE drives for CHEAP now-a-days. Newegg.com people! Blu-ray is not going to take off like DVD did because not enough people own HDTVs and not enough people have the money to shell out $30 a movie and $400 a player (a good one mind you). It just seems like such a waste of money for entertainment when the economy is like it is. Given that the average person out of a job is the same as it has been and such, the economy isn't so bad, but that's what we are told. Anyway, No point in blu-ray. As to quad-core... is there anything that really requires quad-core? They are already giving you 5x better graphics with the nVidia chip being the graphics, chipset and having a seperate graphics card. They gave you 1066mhz ddr3 memory. Be thankful they gave you what they did and not dwell on what isn't there. It can't be changed so why bother?

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Wow, didn't know Steve Jobs posts on this forum! Cool!

Hey Steve, let me tell you something, your glossy screens SUCK, and this is coming from someone who owned an iMac for over a year. I tried it, it failed, and I decided to never buy a glossy screen computer again.

10. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

????
    Its only reasonable. I mean its their product they can do what they want, and what they wanted makes sense: No blu-ray!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can't believe your justifying that Apple creating a computer with many compromises is justified.

Also have you every heard of Bluray disks fail because it got dropped or submerged in water? Try that with a HDD.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OK, so instead of a $300 player (that's how much your standard BD player costs now), you can spend $200 on a terabyte hard drive. OK. Now that you've got your hard drive, you go to iTunes to buy these awesome HD movies...wait, they're not available! Fail. Even if they were, they're only in 720p and don't have near the sound quality of a BD movie (or ANY special features).

What's funny is you speak of people not having HDTVs. Well, there are still a lot of people without broadband Internet connections. Even with mine at 3 Mbps, it takes a LONG while to download a rented HD movie. What's someone with a circa 500 kbps connection going to do? You also can't forget about ISPs secretly capping how much data comes through. HD downloads would cripple speed at points.

Right now, the big deal online is streaming video because you can watch almost any TV show from the channel's Web site. It's much lower quality (about iPod-quality), so it doesn't take up near as much bandwidth.

I'm all for having competition between HD downloads and Blu-ray, but don't get all stupid as if "the war is over." What do you think every Sony game console (PS3, a PS4) will use for game media? What will the next versions of the Xbox and Wii use? Blu-ray won't revolutionize the video industry like DVD, but it's not going to become the next Laserdisc.

13. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

apple stores should have a room with different lighting conditions so people can take a laptop or imac in there and see if it will be a problem for them. i like the "idea" of glass covering the screen, but the reflections do seem to be bad. i have not seen one in person yet though.

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It's not, but prepare yourself: THEY'VE DROPPED THE FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

15. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

The Reflections Are Undeniable

I don't edit photos on an iPod you tool.

It is very bad. The reflections are even evident in the promotional material. In a darkened room, the screen will look OK - as with my iMac which I've now listed on eBay. In terms of more brightness being pushed through the screen to make up for the reflections - that's just a crock of ****! Total KAK! When you are in store, the reflections are UNDENIABLE - fact.

16. Urenstaat macrumors newbie

Did you miss economics class in high school? I've saved myself more than 500 USD for an exellent product which can serve me for the next 4 years ... It's a bit slower, yes, but so what? Why spent more than necessary? It doesn't make sense. And it is not like the old MacBook Pro was ugly... :D

My humble advise: don't watch the keynotes, you might start to believe what Steve Jobs is saying.. Think for yourself. Think Different.

17. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

He's right. It isn't glossy, it's glassy.

The mirror reflection is much worse than any PC with a glossy screen.

I've seen it - you have to see it for yourself to understand. We tried to angle the screen but that didn't work because it reflected the keyboard.

It makes zero sense except it must have saved them a lot of money to make it this way.

I can't imagine Apple designers doing this.

I am a longtime Apple user, have two older ones now and my iPhone, but need a newer machine to edit hd. And I don't like this new one and the last one has a faulty gpu. Apple - you're killin' me.

18. qsoundrich macrumors member

This stuff about the glossy screen is way overblown. Your eyes/brain automatically adjust to the reflections and ignore them (I'm not exaggerating.) The reason it looks so bad in the store is that they are severely over-lighted. Unless you spend most of your time in a retail store or outside, you won't notice the reflections very much.

19. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

And of course, nobody has similar lights in workplaces and offices do they? The majority of offices I go to have exactly the same lighting. Same at the 4 Universities in my area. You obviously don't get out much. That sort of lighting is pretty much standard.