Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualNsanity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
So I recently got my hands on a pretty banged up (but fully functional) 1st generation iPod (the headphone jack is even intact!)

I have been reconditioning an old faceplate to fit on it and working some dents out of the back.

I figured, as long as I was inside, I would put in a new battery.

However, now that I've gotten inside, I thought about taking out that hard drive!

Is this a possible modification?

I have come across a few different listings for 1.8" IDE Toshiba hard drive to CF converters. Does anyone have any experience with these/know if they work?

Here are some examples:
http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.10886

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140323782616

Any thoughts on if it will work. For the $4.00 everyone seems to be asking I really want to give it a try...but if there is no way it will work, I might as well save my $4, haha.

Thanks, any input on this would be greatly apprecaited :-D

VirtualNsanity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I know this has been done before...

...and I did my research before asking, but I wanted to check with the experts ;-)

I still a bit confused as to which part I can use. I have never heard of anyone doing this with a first gen iPod. Furthermore, I just recieved an email from that eBay seller informing me that the part I listed will NOT work.

Where did you purchase the two $10 eBay adapters?

Are the internals (that matter for this project) the same as the other iPods? I hav read several reviews of this done on 4G and 3G iPods, but never on the 1G.

Thanks again, guys!

krob10

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
Me too.

It's funny because I'm trying to do this exact same thing with someone who wants to keep the first gen but play music again. Let me know how it works, I wish it was compact flash compatible like the mini, if I get to it first, I'll let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.