Old School Santa Rosa MacBook Pro Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew D., Oct 27, 2008.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Ok, so here's what's up.. I have an almost year old MBP that has a 120GB HD and 2GB RAM. I would like to upgrade them but without voiding the warranty.. is it possible? I currently don't have AppleCare so would it be best to not get it or to get it then upgrade? How should I go about this? I'm just confuzzled and seek help from you all! Please excuse my neglected use of the search function.. I just figured my question/situation is kind of.. different, haha. So yes, no AppleCare yet, I want to upgrade, etc. Thanks a bunch all!

2. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

As far as I know, you can upgrade the memory fairy easily yourself, I did it on my SR in a few minutes, without voiding the applecare once you get it. Now on the HD, as I understand it, if you change it yourself you will void the warranty. It is also quite a job to do on the SR MBP design. I have heard that you can bring it to the Apple store or official Apple service provider and have them do the install on the HD and it won't void the warranty.

3. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

If I have the Apple Geniuses do it for me.. how much does the installation usually cost?

4. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Sorry I do not know the costs, maybe someone that has had this done before can reply here or you could call your closet Apple store and ask them their prices.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

if it's almost a year old and no applecare, voiding the warranty won't be an issue after it's a year old. the memory upgrade is very simple. i would suggest having someone else do the hdd though. unless you're a brave soul.