Old Screen Protectors for 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by reptileszz, Sep 13, 2008.

1. reptileszz macrumors newbie

Hi all, just got a 16gig touch yesterday and the Apple people told me that the
    Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set wont fit the new 2G. BUT on the Apple site it says it fits both. Anyone tried these to see? I cant seem to figure out if the screens are the same on 1G and 2G.

Thanks,
    Carole

2. Dudeman486 macrumors member

if you're just covering the screen of the ipod touch, than any screen protector made for the iphone or previous gen ipod touch should work.

all three have the same 320x480 screen, same resolution, etc. there's nothing physically different about them

enjoy your new ipod touch!

3. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

It can't hurt to put the protector up to the iPod and try to eye it and see if it will fit.
    Worse comes to worse (it not fitting), it's either a little too small and doesn't cover some of the body surrounding the screen or there will be some excess which can be easily taken off by careful use of a razor. I'm sure that it will at least fit the screen itself.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

cheaper

And you can do it cheaper by just buying a screen protector at wal-mart, cut it and place it on your ipod touch. My little brother did that, and there are no scratches. But the "touch" sensivity stayed the same.

5. nickburns macrumors newbie

nickburns

I just got a new one. But I do need a carrying case any recommendations?

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

well, guys, FYI, when the invisible shield and the bodyguardz for the ipod touch 1g came out, they were the same price. so go get the bodyguardz now!

7. reptileszz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all, well I think I can tell you that the old screen protectors work for the new 2G Touch. I went to Radio Shack yesterday as its closer than the apple store and picked up the ones they had there that were by Giga something. They fit fine. I ruined the first one when a cat hair came out of nowhere and landed on sticky side. :( The second one went on with uber air bubbles but I beat them down with the little card thing. It seems to work ok. When the screen is dark I can see weird rippling effect but its not bothersome while working on it. Just hope it doesnt leave any residue when I take it off someday.

Thanks,
    Carole

8. iTouch1987 macrumors member

hey,

i went to the apple store...friday...and bought the power support anti-glare for my ipod touch 2g seeking any sort of protection cause there are no cases (in retail stores) yet.

it was a bit frustrating on my part, cause dust kept flying in and ruining the installation process, but the front part fit on perfectly.

the back i had to modify a bit (the square section on top-left cut round), but overall it fit fine, back and front. i used the cloth the 2g came with to smooth out any air bubbles and now it sticks perfectly. it doesn't cover the sides, but it's definitely worth buying if you want to play with it now, and can't wait on a case or buying the shields online.

all i need now is a silicon case the goes around the sides (preferably from Belkin or Incase) and it's ready for adventures. :D

9. reptileszz thread starter macrumors newbie

I hear ya on the dust. I had kamikazi cat hairs ruining mine. I also got the belkin "case" that is silicone and just barely frames the front and covers the back. I feel much less like it's going to slip out of my grasp now! Overall a good combo.

Carole

Ps sent from the iPod

10. iTouch1987 macrumors member

hehe, i love using the touch for internet too.

which belkin "case" are you talking about?

11. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

yeah, I just attached old film on the screen. it is little smaller than screen. but it is fit anyway. but it is not fit on the metal back.

12. reptileszz thread starter macrumors newbie

This one...

[​IMG]

It fits snug and has "buttons" for the volume and power switch. Im sure it covers the speaker but I can still hear it for games so it doesnt matter. Like I said, good fit and non-skid. By itself the touch is very very slippery and I was so afraid of dropping it. Its called Sonic Wave Two-Tone Silicone Sleeve for iPod touch. The site I yanked the photo said a 2G was coming soon. I can only assume I have the one for 1G but it fits fine.

Carole

13. iTouch1987 macrumors member

hah, i JUST got this one. picked it up at best buy right as they were closing last night.

this one is for the 2G. you can tell because of the volume button molding on the side of the case. the 1G Touches don't have this feature. the speakers work fine and this case fits perfectly!

thanks though.

14. GraceWu macrumors newbie

The case should be selected the prefect size. I bought the case in the shop, i have tested many different case. All case can control the volume. But something is not fit iphone. It should be careful.

15. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I think the screen on the 2g ipod touch is the same as the 3g iphone. Both have gotten slightly wider than the first gen of each device.

If you buy the PowerSupport films for the 3g iphone, they should also fit the 2g touch perfectly.

The old screen protectors are just a tad bit too narrow to fully cover the screen on the 2g touch.

16. iTouch1987 macrumors member

"All your base are belong to us?"

Sorry, but I did not understand a word of that.

17. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The glass on the front of the 2G appears to be slightly larger

I removed the screen protector from my 1G just before I sold it (yeah I am THAT cheap). It fits on the 2G just fine, however there is a noticeably larger gap around the edges of the protector (meaning it doesn't cover as much glass).

[​IMG]

18. iTouch1987 macrumors member

yeah, i noticed it too. but i placed it enough so only the top section shows a little bit, but even so, that belkin case i got up there covers some of it too.