Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markus843

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
I'm a big fan of the blue scrolling bar, and I really don't like the blackish/grey scroll bar on 10.8.2. Is there any way to change it?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I'm a big fan of the blue scrolling bar, and I really don't like the blackish/grey scroll bar on 10.8.2. Is there any way to change it?

Yeah, i haven't found a solution. As much as i hate the grey linen in OS X now, the gray scrollbar is not so bad just doesn't match the aqua, but least it's inconspicuous unlike the aqua one.

Still, Aqua is mostly here just with a lighter blue (which i hated at first) and annoyingly smaller close/minimize buttons at the top.

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand

Honestly now that I've used the new scroll bar for over a year I can say I would never go back to the blue one. It's was way to big and visible. I like tht the new one is thin and only appears when you need it

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Honestly now that I've used the new scroll bar for over a year I can say I would never go back to the blue one. It's was way to big and visible. I like tht the new one is thin and only appears when you need it

You can set the old one to have that behavior as well.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Still, Aqua is mostly here just with a lighter blue (which i hated at first) and annoyingly smaller close/minimize buttons at the top.

Those "annoyingly small" buttons have the same clickable area as the bigger ones.

You can set the old one to have that behavior as well.

You can't set the old one to disappear when not using it. Maybe there's some 3rd-party software that does it, but not the OS itself. Via the Terminal, it's possible to force the use of the smaller sized scroll bars, but that's it.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I am a little confused here. Are you talking about having the scroll bar show at all times? This can be done and it's in the System Preferences.

As for getting the blue aqua scroll bar back, got me. I don't miss it really. :/

Hugh

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

Are you as sure of that as your assertion that the behavior of scroll bars in Lion/Mountain Lion is not different, just the appearance?

In Snow Leopard, the clickable area is, IIRC, slightly smaller than the actual size of the window widgets. It's possible to click the widget without triggering it. That's not possible in Lion/Mountain Lion.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to disparage your opinion on the changes Apple has made. I can understand why the changes could be unwelcome, but we need to be accurate on the information being distributed. I could be wrong on the clickable area of the window widgets. I tried to Google the subject, but couldn't get anything one way or the other.

Hugh: we're discussing, at this point, whether or not the scroll bars in Snow Leopard and earlier have the same disappearing behavior as the new scroll bars in Lion/Mountain Lion, which they don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.