Old Skool Apple Portable Repair Story

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by DharvaBinky, Oct 28, 2009.

1. DharvaBinky macrumors member

2. mtbdudex, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Yes, I did! Somewhere I got picts to prove it.
    (below not my pict, my picts are of course not digital)
    [​IMG]

Bought right after they came out, late 1989.
    I actually had a new job and used that for tax write off.
    Yes, I paid the full $6,999.00 new. (I had 20 or 40MB hard drive, I forget just now the size)
    Then, I paid $1k for the 4MB static memory card.

I sold it for $2k in 1993, after I bought the then hot Powerbook180.

I was newly hired as Prototype Body Assembly Shop Engineer working on Joint minivan project. This 16lb beast could get me many hours on its huge battery. Our prototype bodys were built at the Pilot plant in Dearborn. 20 years ago........I was 27 then.

3. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

My desk at work (our temp plymouth office) with the MacPortable being used.
    [​IMG]

4. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

what is that strange corded thing next to your Mac? :D

I remember a kid in High School brought in his Dad's to show us in our "Computer Tech" class, we were "programming" BASIC on TRS-80's. That was 1988 or 89.

We couldnt believe how small it was, if we only knew then to buy :apple: stock.

5. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

That is the analog Grandfather of this digital one, still corded. For whatever reason my work has not gone cordless phones at work.....
    [​IMG]

6. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I remember a kid who had one of those in Junior High School and once brought it to class to takes notes. Now mind you the cool factor was high because he was the only person out of a couple thousand who had a "laptop" at that time. However the keyboard was so damn loud that everyone wanted to kill him after a few min....clackclackackitycalackaclakc....AAAAGGGHHH :D

He left it at home the next day but it was still cool!

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Clear Case Portable

I am still searching for a Clear Case Portable that is in good condition, and is working. I would REALLY like to find one. These were prototype portables with clear case plastics and they are really neat. There was actually one on eBay last week, but it was missing part of the case plastics, the handle was broken, and the system was not working. He wanted $5,750 for it, and started the auction at $500 with an unknown reserve. The auction reached $2,800 and did not sell. Anyways, it was a semi-crummy example of a clear case unit, it had lots of problems. I want a clean, working unit that will boot with good case plastics, I will be willing to pay good money for it too. Haha, I scour eBay every day trying to find one, they are almost impossible to find! Maybe one day.