Old SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexburton, Mar 3, 2014.

1. alexburton macrumors newbie

Hi, I am going to buy a new mbp retina but I would like to use my old SSD 840 pro, do you know if I could just put the SSD on the new mbp and have directly all my files?? Thanks!!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No you can't. The late-2013 rMBPs use a blade PCIe SSD. It's a totally different connection altogether.

Buy a USB3/Thunderbolt enclosure for your 840 Pro and transfer it to your rMBP that way.

3. alexburton thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I just saw a tutorial video!! I think I am going to sell my SSD !! Thanks

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I wouldn't sell it if I were you. I'd use it as an external boot drive just in case the internal SSD of the rMBP fails, then at least I still have something to boot from.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's an option or getting an inexpensive external unit so you can still use it. I'd go with selling myself. :)

6. alexburton thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already an external hdd which I use for time machine, another external which I use for music pictures movies.. So I don't think I need one more.. I'll just go for the mbp retina with 256 gb SSD, it's 200 euros more than the mbp retina 128 gb.. But ok..

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Sorry no. Sadly, Apple only makes disposable computers anymore.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think moving up from a 128GB SSD to the 256 is a safe bet and I highly recommend it. You'll run out of storage imo, pretty quickly with the 128

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ I have already an external hdd which I use for time machine, another external which I use for music pictures movies.. So I don't think I need one more.. ]]

Yes, you DO need one more.

You need an external, BOOTABLE clone of your internal drive. Or, at the very least, you need a fully-bootable external copy of the OS.

You can't boot from a Time Machine backup. Not a "full boot", anyway. By "full boot" I mean that the computer boots to the finder, and you can then run any app you want or move files as required.

Someone above said it right:
    Get an external enclosure and put the old drive into it.
    Test it, so that you know it can boot the new MacBook in an emergency.

Sooner or later, you're going to have an "I can't boot!" moment. This is where having a bootable cloned backup makes things MUCH easier....

10. alexburton thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes you have right on this, I might need a bootable back up disk..but I think ill use the SSD for time machine and the other hdd as bootable disk.. The only thing is that I don't know if I can trust the SSD for time machine..

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Why not? Were you having trouble with it before?

An SSD will work just fine for a backup.

12. alexburton thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't have any problem, I ve heard that the hdd are more trustworthy than the ssd.. I don't know if it's true..

13. 5to1 macrumors regular

Firstly not everyone DOES need that level of backup/mitigation against drive failure. Provided their data is recoverable many people can live without it until the machine is repaired (replacing SSD under warranty or otherwise, or reinstalling OS then restoring from time machine).

Secondly, why on earth would it be prudent to use an expensive (in terms of £/GB) SSD for such a rare occurrence? If one really does need that level of backup/mitigation against drive failure, isn't it far more prudent to use a conventional external HDD with a far lower cost per GB?

IMO OP if you have no use for the SSD, recoup as much as you can for it. Its a rapidly depreciating item which is fair enough if you're making use of it, but silly to keep around to hold a backup you'll likely never use :/

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

It ain't. HDDs are full of mechanical parts that can fail.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... SSD is fine. The difference is usually a HDD will start throwing errors or maybe making some odd noises before it dies. With SSDs when they do die it seems like the controller inside goes bad and they just all of a sudden stop working with no warning. But I don't think they are otherwise any less reliable.

That said, I have not really seen any definitive studies on the topic.