Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Went into my attic with the intent of sending squirrels back to hell. (Any time I wield a gun, I am Doomguy)

Burned and pillaged their rodent village and stumbled upon some old goodies. Not sure exactly how to identify or value these items. Ideas?

Oil and antifreeze. The Master Lube can comes from Kincheloe Oil Co. which is based here in Dallas and still appears to be operating in some capacity.

The Texaco Can is labeled S.A.E. 20, though the residue tastes more like S.A.E. 50.

My conclusion is that these could only be the remains of a communications device, specifically the telegraph given to Worf by "Old Man" Newsome which eventually was used by Worf to construct a force field generator, c. stardate Stardate 46271.

Thoughts? Input?

Last edited:

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Went into my attic with the intent of sending squirrels back to hell. (Any time I wield a gun, I am Doomguy)

Burned and pillaged their rodent village and stumbled upon some old goodies. Not sure exactly how to identify or value these items. Ideas?

Oil and antifreeze. The Master Lube can comes from Kincheloe Oil Co. which is based here in Dallas and still appears to be operating in some capacity.

The Texaco Can is labeled S.A.E. 20, though the residue tastes more like S.A.E. 50.

[url=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z154/mrcheeto/th_d9e77b12.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z154/mrcheeto/th_ScreenShot2012-02-19at25206AM.png]Image[/URL]

My conclusion is that these could only be the remains of a communications device, specifically the telegraph given to Worf by "Old Man" Newsome which eventually was used by Worf to construct a force field generator, c. stardate Stardate 46271.

[url=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z154/mrcheeto/th_949f8a4c.jpg]Image[/URL]

Thoughts? Input?

You tasted the oil? :confused: Why?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
You could not even begin to imagine what's in the attic of where I grew up... Tis a scary place, it is.

That last picture... looks kinda like an old doorbell, granted, the last time I saw it, I was ~5 years old - so take it with a grain of salt. Did you find any metal bars next to it?

Edit: I take that back, too hard to tell. Can you de-sawdust these things, and snap a new pic? Looks like relays on the left, and part of a relay, or some type of magnetic controller, on the right. (could still be a door chime, but those wires look way too thick)

----------

Who doesn't taste vintage cans of fluid found in their attic? ;)

UlsterApple

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Northern Ireland
Looks like relays on the left, and part of a relay, or some type of magnetic controller, on the right. (could still be a door chime, but those wires look way too thick)

Children, children... you who have grown up in a transistorised world of diodes and silicon chips... listen to Gramps here.
They're regulators for car dynamos - those funny things that came before alternators - when the amount of engine speed determined the electrical output. As the revs increased the armatures opened or closed to allow electricity through more coils and so prevent the power burning out the wiring.
Or something like that. Search eBay for Voltage Regulator and you'll see what they should look like.
Hey ho, back to my rocking chair.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008

ScreenShot2012-02-19at23536PM.png

Dammit, that's why!

UlsterApple, nice work, gramps. I suppose the FoMoCo brand should have been some indication of its purpose and origin... which makes it easier to believe that these ancient telegraph repeaters could have fooled us both.

This is an example of a similar part in complete condition.
ford_regulator.jpg

Through sciences and my learndings, I've also concluded that the oil cans and anti-freeze were purchased, and therefore likely used, in 1962. Not 1963, not 1961. The Texaco can is how I drew my conclusion.

In 1962, the Indian logo was removed from the Havoline product line.
In 1963, the round Texaco logo was changed to a hexagon.

These two logos only coexisted in 1962... All of these items were found in a single brown shopping bag, leading me to believe that these were used on a Ford car in the same instance, in 1962.

Round 2:

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Children, children... you who have grown up in a transistorised world of diodes and silicon chips... listen to Gramps here.
They're regulators for car dynamos - those funny things that came before alternators - when the amount of engine speed determined the electrical output. As the revs increased the armatures opened or closed to allow electricity through more coils and so prevent the power burning out the wiring.
Or something like that. Search eBay for Voltage Regulator and you'll see what they should look like.
Hey ho, back to my rocking chair.

OMGWTFBBQ! I totally was thinking about that, but the regulator I had, the wires on coils were a LOT thinner. The footprint was the exact same.... this is why I wanted a pic of it cleaned up. :D

Edit, last 2 pics... Part of a Magneto / Distributor or Dynamo from a small engine?

Also, are you furnishing your attic as a living space? Your recent findings + paint tray / roller brush in those pics...

Last edited:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I totally was thinking about that

Thought it, but didn't say it... No cookies are to be awarded.

1327310075202.jpg

And to answer your question, the owners of this property have no knowledge of my presence...and it shall remain that way... right!? >8| I gladly sleep in sawdust for the 30mb/s down that I'm burnin'.

The unidentified plate is approximately 10" at it's widest measure, as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.