Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
In the process of cleaning out the garage. Again.

Everything always goes to hell out there whenever there's a change in moving stuff around. So, I've moved all the seasonal crap to the storage unit and anything else that doesn't see much use and I don't need to get a hold of right away.

Unfortunately, our non-running car no occupies the space where I had a previous set up so that made things go bad a long time ago.

Anyway…you can see attached what I have sitting. Eventually they'll be plugged back in and running. PowerMac 6500 and 7300 as well as my Apple IIci. Sitting on top of the IIci is a bona fide LaCie 1GB SCSI external HD.

The Apple scanner is courtesy of RedCroissant and the HP scanner is courtesy of my current job. It's an 11x17" SCSI scanner - full color.

I've got two 48 port rack mount hubs in the garage so eventually the 6500 and 7200 will get hooked back up to the home network.

None of this will be left on. I live in Phoenix and it's spring which means it's pushing 100º now every day and the garage is not air conditioned.

Oh yeah. That's the logicboard and CPU w/heatsink that I pulled out of the work G5 there too. Either the chip is good or the logicboard is good. Haven't determined which one yet.

Attachments

• 2015-04-05 18.01.44.jpg
    2015-04-05 18.01.44.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 2015-04-05 18.01.25.jpg
    2015-04-05 18.01.25.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 2015-04-05 18.01.18.jpg
    2015-04-05 18.01.18.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 2015-04-05 17.49.44.jpg
    2015-04-05 17.49.44.jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 2015-04-05 17.49.28.jpg
    2015-04-05 17.49.28.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Last pic of the G5 logicboard.

Attachments

• 2015-04-05 17.49.20.jpg
    2015-04-05 17.49.20.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Do I spy a Quadra 700 in there? :)

If you need space or extra cash, you have my contact info, especially if it involves high end 68K stuff.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Do I spy a Quadra 700 in there? :)

If you need space or extra cash, you have my contact info, especially if it involves high end 68K stuff.
No, it's a IIci.

That said it has a 40MB hard drive and was a mother to recover the data on. I got it from Arizona News Service, the parent company of the Arizona Capitol Times for whom I once worked. At boot all I got was the sad Mac.

I forget how I actually managed to recover the drive without reformatting, but it did involve a scavenged floppy drive from an old LCII I had at the time (long since Goodwilled, I hate those Macs) and about 15 1.44 disks to install System 7.5.5.

Once I got everything up I installed Kaleidoscope and an OS9 theme so I could at least fool myself that it was running OS9. It's got the 68k version of QuarkXPresss 3 on it.

My wife found several ram sticks at the Goodwill and low and behold they were all compatible with my IIci. It has max ram, the full 128mb.

Sorry Bunns, not parting with that one. :D

EDIT: Almost forgot. It has a NuBus 10 Base-T network card in it and at one point I had Appletalk via the printer port up and running with an OS9 Mac. Maybe that'll be my next project (when I'm done with the garage). I've got a Netgear 10 Base-T hub at work with modern ethernet ports. Should be able to hook it up if I can find all the cables.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If you can think it - it's probably been done.

When I get things all sorted around, running OS 8.1 on my IIci might be a project. :D

http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/os8_68030.html

If the inside is anything like a Quadra 700, you can pretty easily jerry-rig an internal SCSI CD-ROM drive onto it while running it with the top off. Basically, you'll need a Molex splitter and a 50 pin SCSI ribbon cable with more than one connector. You need to plug one end of the SCSI cable to the logic board and the other end(the very end) into the hard drive. You can then plug one of the other connectors into the CD-ROM, and use the molex splitter to power both the hard drive and CD-ROM. You can pretty easily balance the CD-ROM on top of the hard drive, and everything should work. Of course, you can also go the external SCSI CD-ROM route.

You'll probably want more than a 40mb HDD for OS 8. 500mb drives can be had for decent prices on Ebay, and I'd suggest going that route. It's overkill, but often the 500-1gb drive are less expensive than the smallish(20-200mb) drives. My Quadra is running now with a 10gb 80 pin drive(via an adapter). I have probably 30 of these things that I've grabbed here and there(either pulled from computers, or found lying in a box about to go to surplus), so use them with some frequency.

By the way, as far as getting data off goes, I prefer the "brute force" method :) . I have several G4 towers with SCSI cards, so I'll just pull the drive, put it in the G4, and copy the contents onto the G4 hard drive. I've even done this to migrate data to a newer hard drive. Tiger works with pretty much any SCSI card I throw at it, while for OS 9 and Leopard you're better off using an Apple OEM card.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of OS 8-I find it somewhat buggy. 8.5/8.6 is a huge improvement, and IMO OS 8 is too resource heavy for a lot of 68K Macs(although admittedly my Q700 would probably like it better with more RAM-I have 20mb in it now). I prefer 7.5.5 for 68K systems. I also miss the "Welcome to Macintosh" splash screen that disappeared with OS 8 :) .

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
If the inside is anything like a Quadra 700, you can pretty easily jerry-rig an internal SCSI CD-ROM drive onto it while running it with the top off. Basically, you'll need a Molex splitter and a 50 pin SCSI ribbon cable with more than one connector. You need to plug one end of the SCSI cable to the logic board and the other end(the very end) into the hard drive. You can then plug one of the other connectors into the CD-ROM, and use the molex splitter to power both the hard drive and CD-ROM. You can pretty easily balance the CD-ROM on top of the hard drive, and everything should work. Of course, you can also go the external SCSI CD-ROM route.

You'll probably want more than a 40mb HDD for OS 8. 500mb drives can be had for decent prices on Ebay, and I'd suggest going that route. It's overkill, but often the 500-1gb drive are less expensive than the smallish(20-200mb) drives. My Quadra is running now with a 10gb 80 pin drive(via an adapter). I have probably 30 of these things that I've grabbed here and there(either pulled from computers, or found lying in a box about to go to surplus), so use them with some frequency.

By the way, as far as getting data off goes, I prefer the "brute force" method :) . I have several G4 towers with SCSI cards, so I'll just pull the drive, put it in the G4, and copy the contents onto the G4 hard drive. I've even done this to migrate data to a newer hard drive. Tiger works with pretty much any SCSI card I throw at it, while for OS 9 and Leopard you're better off using an Apple OEM card.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of OS 8-I find it somewhat buggy. 8.5/8.6 is a huge improvement, and IMO OS 8 is too resource heavy for a lot of 68K Macs(although admittedly my Q700 would probably like it better with more RAM-I have 20mb in it now). I prefer 7.5.5 for 68K systems. I also miss the "Welcome to Macintosh" splash screen that disappeared with OS 8 :) .
Well…I've got that 1GB external LaCie drive there. It's SCSI. Originally I had it hooked up to my 6500, but I can hook it up to the IIci. I'm thinking I'll just use the 40mb as a boot drive and store everything else on the LaCie drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.