Old Style Wargames (e.g. Napoleonic)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by SimonK, Sep 28, 2009.

1. SimonK macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I would like some suggestions on some good, old style wargames for the mac. I am very picky as to what I like, so let me give you an idea, and then I am open to all suggestions on some good wargames out there...

I started out as a kid deep into Napoleonic tabletop wargaming with all the complex rules, cannon fire tables, beautiful figures, and dashing cavalry charges..... so anything that replicates this I am really into.

Example of a computer game that I really liked: Napoleon's Last Battle.

This game although not on the mac (as far as I know) was a great little wargame that had nice graphics, and a decent game engine. Lots of different details like various uniforms, and realistic tactics. I really enjoyed it.

I don't care for strategy management games like Civilisation, Age of Empires and games like this - something focused more on pure combat (battalion/regiment level) as done on the tabletop is what I am interested in.

I also don't like Combat Mission so much. Games such as Total War would take up too much memory as I am running a G4 iBook with 1.2GB of RAM.

Any era, but especially interested in classical period (Greeks/Romans) and 16th century onwards. Decent fantasy wargames also considered; I just today downloaded Battle for Wesnoth, and I am excited to see how that plays..

Freeware and/or commercial.

Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks.

2. SimonK thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Battle for Wesnoth is a great little fantasy wargame. I recommend it. Free to download too....

Any other suggestions?

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

4. robecq macrumors regular

robecq

Check out
    'tripple-A' - An axis and allies clone for the mac
    'Commander - Europe a war', not sure if it will run on a g4 tho
    Lux delux is a great too, a little simple, but good for a fast game

5. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

6. SimonK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out some of those titles....

I came across Napoleon at War last night. It says 1.4 ghz minimum, but it will probably work on a 1.2 ghz machine I think... I have maximum memory (1.2GB). It is good to see that there are games like this still around.

Just to repeat: no god/political games, tactical miltary games only.

Keep them coming!