Old style (Wireless G) Airport Express-Useful for holiday?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Azzin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Folks,

I've got an old style, wireless G Airport Express sitting in a drawer doing nothing.

It's one of these:

[​IMG]

We're looking at holiday plans for this summer and the villa we've got our eye on apparently has wifi.

So I was wondering if I could put the AE to any use if we took it with us?

I'm wondering if it can for example, be used to extend the wifi coverage in the villa, if there's dead spots for example?

I can't remember if it needs ethernet to begin with, or whether it can be configured to hook on to an existing wifi network and re broadcast?

Cheers.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I got one as well and I never succeeded in extending a network, but this was always with a non Apple Wireless device as the main one so that could have been the problem.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you, I suspect the villa's wifi will be non Apple based too, so this may be a non starter.

I just thought I'd read about people using them in hotel rooms, but maybe that was to take an Ethernet connection and broadcast it wirelessly?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

the main base has to be apple, and it has to have extending allowed.

people are plugging them into a wired connection in the hotel, and creating a network that way.

the newer N version can join any wireless network, and then you can connect through the wired port.
    unfortunately the G version doesn't do this.

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Good info, thanks.

When you say the "newer N version", do you mean the one that is the same shape as the one in my pic above, or the very new shape that looks like an Apple TV?

Cheers.