Old thermal paste syringe

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by asiga, Nov 10, 2015.

1. asiga macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I just got an old Apple-original motherboard replacement. It comes with a (sealed) thermal paste syringe (Chinese but provided by Apple). But it was made 10 years ago. Would you use it? I asked it to the guy in my local PC shop and he said that it's sealed, so it's OK to use it no matter how old it is. But I googled and found diversity of opinions about old thermal paste. What would you do?

2. abundantmussel macrumors regular

abundantmussel

Personally for the sake of a few € or $ or £ or whatever currency you use I'd grab a new one.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It'll be fine. There's nothing in there that would degrade through age in a sealed syringe.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Assuming it's still indeed 100% sealed and air has not leaked in. I am by no means a thermal paste expert, but I imagine exposure to air is bad. Silver, Zinc, Aluminum, etc are pretty stable, but I'd be concerned about the base/matrix.

As someone who works in medicine, I would never trust the contents of a 10 year pre-filled old syringe... And I have to imagine the medical industry has higher packaging standards.

I'm overly cautious and neurotic so my suggestion is spend the few bucks and buy some new thermal paste. In reality (am suggesting I'm not in reality?), you could always just test out the consistency beforehand to make sure it's okay (uniform paste, not chunky, not too wet/runny or dry, correct viscosity, etc). If it seems off, tell yourself to just bite the bullet, spend the few bucks, and do it right the first time.

5. asiga thread starter macrumors 6502a

For some reason I'd like to use it because it was the syringe that Apple provided officially. But, on the other hand, it looks like cheap quality (just Chinese text on the syringe, without any English).

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

In which case it follows that the chinese made motherboard is also of cheap quality! ;)