Old time machine backup from broken external

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 3utterfingers, May 2, 2013.

1. 3utterfingers macrumors newbie

I managed to retrieve old Time machine backups from another computer from a external that was not recognised by my macbook

I have the files in a folder and tried using them on a different external hard drive. I chose browse other backup disks but it did not recognise the backups.

When i look in the folders most of it comes up as exec files and i cant open them in finder (screenshot below)

Are the files just corrupted or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 3utterfingers thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this what all TM backups look like? the black exec icons?

3. Stevenlr macrumors member

Not sure whats going on with this for you, just checked what my current backups look like and the just look like a normal set of folders as if you were browsing the computer, Macintosh HD > Users > NAME etc...

4. 3utterfingers thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah they must be corrupted then. I'm guessing they are probably garbage now unless anyone knows anything about saving corrupted files.

I have a lot of work on there from a while ago which i would like to access.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have a lot of work on there from a while ago which i would like to access."

I realize my advice comes too late to help you with older files at the moment, but….

…. if you want to avoid a situation like this in the future, DO NOT USE Time Machine for your long-term-storage backups and archives.

The best way to preserve older files is to keep them stored in simple finder format, without encryption -- in short, in the easiest-to-access form possible.

If necessary, lock up the drive that contains the files. But if you make the files "hard to access from the drive", that is how they may end up being some time in the future when _you_ try to access them.

For future storage, either make "finder copies" (simple drag-and-drop) to your archive drive, or…

… best solution for backing up is to use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, instead of Time Machine (or as a supplement to T.M.).

Either of these will create a fully-bootable copy of your "main drive", in "poff" (plain ol' finder format). Just connect the backup drive, it will mount on the desktop, you can copy one file or a hundred, or even boot from the drive if you wish.

I've done this for decades (actually, before either CCC or SD was available). I have instantly-accessible files from the mid-1980's in my archives. Stuff going back nearly 30 years...

6. 3utterfingers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice fishrrman.. 30 years wow!