'old' v 'new' 'standard' Mac Pro Photoshop benchmarks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lloyd709, Feb 17, 2008.

1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

A few days ago I posted a thread asking if anyone had any 'raw' image processing stats comparing the old 2.66 4 core against the new 2.8 8 core.

No one posted a reply so I took a CD with 10 raw image down to the London apple store and used one of their 2.8 8 core machines (I've got a 2.66 4 core machine) for the comparison. The following are the results of the 3 tests (mirroring my workflow - apart from I'm normally processing 100's of images) that I carried out on the 10 image files (from a Canon 1Ds MkIII):

Converting the 10 raws to jpgs: old MP 53 seconds, new MP 42 seconds

Opening the 10 resulting jpgs: old MP 13 seconds, new MP 12 seconds

Applying an action that opened each jpg, applied an adjustment and then re-saved the image: old MP 29 seconds, new MP 28 seconds.

Both machines had 4 Gig of memory and worked of the main disk.

Just thought I'd post the results in case anyone else found them useful.

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Actually that answers my question I posted here pretty well.

Though I am more interested in the difference between 2.8ghz quad and 8 core doing a huge amount of raw files. If your results were to hold I would be able to convert my batches in something around a little less than an hour to one and a half hours. Pretty stunning when it takes two and a half to three and a half hours on the laptop i'm working on and six to nine hours on the desktop at work.

3. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

When I was doing the tests I had activity monitor on and I could see that when converting the raws the image processing parts were split pretty much evenly across all 8 cores but they weren't at maximum. However, all the other bits and pieces the machine has to do during the processing where not spilt - hence only an approx 30% gain.

But for folks not processing raws and just using the basic photoshop on normal size images, from what I could see, there is virtually no significant improvement from either the extra cores or extra speed of the new computer's processors, bus or memory.