Old Verizon SIM in 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by miss.manson, Sep 24, 2014.

1. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Soo..I'm receiving my 6+ tomorrow and to my knowledge they already have sims preloaded. I was wondering if I could just take the sim out of my 5C and put it into my 6+? Also, would i still have to pay an activation fee and an ETF fee(my 5c is still on contract). I have no problems paying the fees but was just wondering how it worked. Thank you in advance.

:apple::)

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

did you order the phone as an upgrade? if so, theres no way to avoid the $30 upgrade fee regardless of which SIM you use.

once you take the phone out of the box and go through the activation process, it will automatically disable your old SIM and enable your new one. i dont know if this process has already been set in motion by verizon, it may be inevitable. when i got my 6 in the verizon store, the unopened phone was scanned and automatically updated my account, disabling my phone in my pocket and making my new 6 live.

theoretically yes, you can just pop your old SIM into the new phone and remove the one it comes with, however verizon may have already switched this in their system for you.

TLDR: yes you can pop your old SIM in. no, you cant avoid the upgrade fees. if you upgraded, there is no ETF (thats only if you cancel a contract). the SIMs are probably already switched on your account anyways and will automatically enable/disable when you turn your phone on for the first time.

3. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I forgot to mention that it's not an upgrade, I added a line.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

There's no way around the activation fee unfortunately. That's because you activated a line and has nothing to with the phone. And yes you can just pop your other SIM card in without an issue. Did you add this line just to get the phone at a discount and then terminate the line? Cuz then they will make you pay the etf and the difference on the device too lol. That's not really a loophole and you kinda just screwed yourself in the end.

5. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Okay, thats what I figured. Like I said I just wanted to know how it all worked, as for some reason Verizon couldn't answer my questions. I'll be paying the ETF fee...Which is the difference for the phone. Thank you for your help. :)

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

You can't just pay the etf and keep the phone that they just sold you at half price, on contract. You will have to return the phone as well or pay the difference in its value. In the end, if you return the phone, you are out $300 which is why I said you are screwing yourself over. Unless you fall into that 14 day return policy with no etf. But either way, you aren't keeping the phone for a discount.

----------

If you cancel the contract and they don't charge you the etf, they will make you return the phone or bill you the difference of the cost of the phone to make it the full purchase price. That's what you meant by your last message right?

7. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Well for one, I have no issues with giving the phone back. I won't be using it. For two, you're incorrect. See chat convo with verizon:

Kristin: Okay, if you cancel the service for the iPhone 5c, this would also be canceling the phone number because the phone number is connected with the contract.
    Sara : I understand. So the only thing i will be paying will be the ETF fee correct?
    Sara : I think my local verizon store told me it was around $330
    Kristin: Yes, that is correct.
    Sara : You are awesome Kristin, thank you for your help :)
    Kristin: You are very welcome! Do you have any more questions or concerns I can help you with?
    Sara : The ETF fee is the cost of the rest of the device right?
    Kristin: That depends, is the iPhone 5C an early Edge Upgrade?
    Kristin: Let me take a look at your account for you.
    Sara : No it isn't. I don't use edge
    Sara : Its just simply an on contract device.
    Kristin: Oh then yes that would be the cost to end the contract.
    Sara : Im sorry to be redundant lol but that will be the ONLY fee that i pay, besides the activation fee for the 6 plus?
    Kristin: I completely understand! :)
    Kristin: Do you have any more questions or concerns I can help you with?
    Sara : So willl that be the ONLY fee that i pay, besides the activation fee for the 6 plus?
    Kristin: That is correct.
    Sara : Someone told me that i would have to pay the ETF fee + the cost of the rest of the phone..is this true?
    Kristin: No.
    Sara : OKay Kristin, you've been awesome :)
    Sara : Thanks for your help
    Kristin: You are very welcome! Do you have any more questions or concerns I can help you with?
    Kristin: :)
    Sara : Well i just thought of one, lol sorry. When i pay the ETF, do i give the phone back to you guys?
    Kristin: No, the phone is yours.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Wait I thought you meant you're gonna cancel the line you just got, not the existing one with the 5c. I see what your doing now. I misunderstood which line you were canceling.

----------

In the end, your 5C SIM card and phone number will be deactivated when you cancel its contract and pay the termination fee.

The 6+ account will be in good standing and be your new number and need to use its SIM card. All you will owe to verizon will be the 5C termination fee and the iphone 6+ is yours to keep. You basically just did this to get the upgraded phone while still on contract. But in the end it's ends up being full price anyway due to the etf fee and you now have a different phone number.

9. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Sell the 5C you'll probably get about $300 for it and use that for the ETF

10. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

It's okay! And yeah, you're right. I feel that it's worth it though, I've waited a long time for this phone. :)

----------

That's the plan! I'm selling it for $250

11. rigormortis, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

could you please explain your situation in detail? are you upgrading from a 5c on verizon to a 6+ on verizon? are you paying full price for an iPhone 6+?

verizon won't like you. they won't officially activate an unlocked t-mobile iPhone 6+, you cannot walk into the verizon store with an unlocked t-mobile iPhone 6+ and ask them to activate your sim card.

but if you simply just don't tell them and remove the sim from your verizon 5c and stick it in your iPhone 6+, it actually works.

right now its working. i guess verizon might eventually get mad and not allow non verizon devices in the future.

i got mad at AT&T once for having to pay that activation fee when its just moving the sim card over and they understood and waived it

here are some threads about how the unlocked full price iPhone 6+ is verizon compatible.

disclaimer. i have an iPhone 5 under contract till 10-25-14 on verizon. i have been experimenting with verizon on my t-mo unlocked iPhone 6. i am kind of paranoid of verizon charging me whats left of my ETF for using a banned device (although a working device). so i haven't been using my iPhone 6 a lot. but i have tested CDMA VolLTE and visual voice mail, and it is the same exact phone. the only difference between an unlocked t-mobile phone and an unlocked verizon iPhone is the IMEI/MEID ( the serial numbers of the iPhone ) is on verizon's list of numbers they like\

i believe my experiments and my history of replacing iPhones for warranty issues pretty much prove that the whole story about how verizon has to activate your CDMA radio is hogwash, and they do not do any such thing. they just activate the sim card.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/26691236
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19838786#post19838786
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1791187&page=1

12. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I bought a 6+ through Verizon and added a line on my account. I ended up suspending the line that the 5c is on, so i won't be making payments on a phone that i don't want or use for 3 months. In the meantime I will be saving for the ETF fee.