Old version of Airport Utility for 802.11g Express?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cherft, Jun 3, 2013.

1. cherft, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

cherft macrumors newbie

Hello
    How can I get an Older version (<6) of Airport Utility to enable connection from my iPad/iPhone to my old ".11g" Airport Express? This is for use as a travel router when I stay in hotels with ethernet connections only.
    Whilst I DO have a Windows 7 Desktop computer, I DO NOT have any Apple Desktop or Laptop - just the iPad and iPhone.
    I have an investment of 4 of these old Airport Express devices running printers and Hi Fi setups around the house.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Chris

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Follow this.

3. cherft thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you; unfortunately I cannot use your idea

Thank you for taking the time to try to assist me, Weaselboy, but I DO NOT have any Apple Desktop or Laptop - just the iPad and iPhone.

I have updated my posted question with this info in case anyone can assist further.

Best regards
    Chris

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

so you have no windows computer either? youre just looking for an older version of the airport utility app? i have a feeling that you may be out of luck. however, if you do end up with a computer, i have a link to an older version of the desktop utility if that helps.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1391

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh I see... if the iOS app won't work, I don't know what else you can do. If you could get temp. access to a friends Mac or PC, you could configure the routers at someone else's house then just bring them home and reconnect them.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Or if there is an Apple store near you, ask if you can use one of their Macs.

7. cherft, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

cherft thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for responding, dictoresno, YES, I do have a Windows 7 desktop computer that I use to manage my AEx with the Windows version 5.6.1 of the Admin Utility.
    What would be ideal is getting this version for the iPad and/or iPhone so that I can take my AEx as a travel router when I stay in hotels with only ethernet internet connection.
    thank you.
    regards
    Chris

8. cherft thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha Ha Good one, Night Spring - my Apple Store just laughed at me and told me to get real and buy new .11n AEx - they are not interested in helping in any way.
    Kind regards
    Chris

----------

I apologies for not giving the full picture, Weaselboy. I have a Windows 7 PC at home that I use to configure my AEx using Windows version 5x of Admin Utility.

What I need is an iPad version that will handle .11g AEx when I travel and stay at hotels that only provide ethernet internet.

Thanks for looking at this.
    regards
    Chris

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see. I use an Airport Express for the same thing and just have a default setup on the AE with WPA wifi and have never had to tweak that to get it to work at hotels over ethernet. I never have to use Airport Util to get it to work. I just plug it in to the hotel ethernet and in a couple minutes the AE light turns green. Then I connect via wifi from my iPad or Macbook and get the hotel login screen and after filling that out it always works.

You might try just setting it up like I described on the Windows machine then see if it works for you like mine does in a hotel.

10. cherft thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, Weaselboy. What you say sounds encouraging. At home (using a Windows PC to configure it) it all works fine.
    I guess I'll have to simply trust that mine will work in a Laos ethernet only hotel.
    All the best and thanks
    Chris

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you actually ask? I can see them turning down the request, but I find it hard to imagine they'd laugh at a customer -- if any customer service person at any store treated me that way, I'd certainly ask to speak to their supervisor.

(Actually, I wouldn't ask -- I'd just walk in and use one of their display Macs. If you know what you are doing, you can do it before anyone notices. :p)

12. cherft thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i did go (to the Chadstone VIC store).
    maybe he did not actually laugh out loud but there was definitely a "gotcha" smirk on his face.
    very disappointing.:mad:
    perhaps I'll go at a different time and see if someone else might be more helpful. . .