Old versions of leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by milamber, Jan 3, 2009.

1. milamber macrumors regular

Hi there,
    I'm wondering if any of you knowledgeable fellows could answer my question. I recently got a new unibody MBP and loaded my old macbook hard drive externally and tried to boot it to no avail. I then read that it can't boot because it is an old system.

Here is the problem: I have a copy of leopard (upgraded my old macbook) loaded on an external hard drive for quicker install but now that cannot boot up either. The leopard version i'm guessing will be 10.5.1 because I got it when it was first released. So is it a problem with leopard and old macbook hard drive just not being able to run on unibody MBP or is it the fact there is a problem with the MBP not being able to boot up external drives?

Thanks

Wayne

2. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i have had a similar prolem when i tried to use an old retail leopard dvd to a newer machine. Well, apple gave me a new one. WHy dont u try to update 10.5.1 to the current 10.5.6 on your macbook? That would boot fine from your new mbp

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Versions of OSX older than the hardware you are trying to run it on will not have platform drivers for that hardware. You need the custom build of Leopard that came with the machine or any later version...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'd have 10.5.0 if you got it at launch. The unibodies won't boot before 10.5.5. Sorry.

5. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

another idea would be to use the leopard restore disk that came with your new mbp, and archive install leopard to that drive. All your personal settings and ur files will be preserved, but your system will be upgraded

6. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

oh and something else. my case isnt the same with yours. in my case, they jsut cave me an old retail dvd. in your case, you have already used your leopard dvd to one computer. therefore, the propper way is to buy a new one for your mpb. i know it gets annoying, but thats how it is if you dont want to break apple's eula