old videos to mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zeppelin68, Aug 10, 2007.

1. zeppelin68 macrumors regular

I have a bunch of old analog video tapes from a non digital camcorder. Does anyone know of a connector I could use to transfer them to my laptop?(Macbook Pro)

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

This has come up a few times before, with two solutions.

One is to find a cheap DV camcorder that takes analog inputs ,and the other is to use an Analog to Digital Converter, such as Canopus' ADVC110.

Either way, you connect your VCR (or whatever device that can read your old tapes) to the device (DV camera or ADVC), and connect the device to your computer using Firewire. Then you can capture using iMovie or Final Cut Express/Pro.

:)

3. zeppelin68 thread starter macrumors regular

4. -DH macrumors 65816

If you want to use/edit the videos in iMovie, Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro, you really need a Firewire DV device for capturing footage so it will already be in the proper codec for the program you'll be using to edit.

If you just want to create QuickTime files for viewing on your Mac, then that device sounds like it will work OK. But if you ever want to edit them, you'll need to convert/export them first or face a bunch of rendering time.

-DH