Old vs New Airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by legaleye3000, Mar 6, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Is the only difference the dual-band support? I think I heard that the newest firmware update makes the old airport have all the other features (mobileme support, guest sharing)

Thanks

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, it looks like the dual-band support is the only real change. With dual-band, you also get support for guest networks.

Beyond that, all of the functionality is available to the previous generation of AirPort Extreme Base Stations via firmware update 7.4.1.

Make sure no matter what you do, you install 7.4.1. It corrects some rather serious problems in the new AEBS.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

So is guest networking only on the new one or the previous model...?

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Only the new one has dual-band support, so only the new one has support for guest networking. Or at least that's my understanding.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought dual band has nothing to do with guest networking (?). It just blocks the guests from accessing your network (they only have internet access).

Someone please clarify that the only new thing on the new Airport is dual band. Thanks.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The new ones have simultaneous dual-band and guest networking (the latter can't work if you use another router/computer as a DHCP server).