Old vs New, Big vs Small...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Mar 20, 2009.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

After using my netbook hackintosh for about a year now, I am kind of tired of mickey mousing things and just want a real mac again.

Looking at Apple refurbs (canada eh?) I see the current unibody macbooks for $1200... so $200 off the brand new price. That was my "yup I'm gonna buy it" model.

but then I saw the older style macbook pro. 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 200gb hdd, 256mb 8600gt. Basically its the higher end version of the old 2.2ghz santa rosa mbp I used to have way back when, for $1450.

For $250 more, I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade and yet downgrade. The screen and gfx card are big improvements over the macbook, and the lit-up keyboard is nice, as are the added ports etc. The unibody macbook supports more (and better) ram, is easier to upgrade hdd wise, costs less, is newer and is just plain sexier. I would love to spring for the new mbp, but refurb it's $1850 which is way outta my price range.

decisions! :(

2. Styxie macrumors member

Can't say much that'll help you, only that the MBP does have a backlit keyboard. And in my opinion the MBP looks better than the new unibodies (PowerBook G4 user, so there you go). But it's all up to you dude.

3. bkarabel macrumors member

Actually, i like the unibody mb over previous mbp. Depends what you are going to use it for but unibody mb is pretty powerful ,portable and more solid design.
    Good luck...