Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm curious to know how many people are waiting for the new 34nm X25-M before purchasing. I'm finding myself checking newegg multiple times a day for the new drive, but it feels like its taking forever for Intel to provide stock to resellers. Is it just me? I would hate to order the older version, just to have stock arrive of the new unit tomorrow. I wouldnt think a simple firmware update (thats already been released to the public) would hold up the show this long!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think you'll find many are waiting because the price of the G1 will drop or should and the G2 should be around $450, it was up for about 30 seconds one night and then gone again (at newegg.com).

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
I think you'll find many are waiting because the price of the G1 will drop or should and the G2 should be around $450, it was up for about 30 seconds one night and then gone again (at newegg.com).

That's what I'm doing. I'll wait until the G2 is readily available or the G1 drops so significantly in price that I can justify having "inferior" tech.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL

Prices listed on newegg for the G1 & G2 are the same ($449) so ideally it would make the most sense to wait for the G2. It's difficult to plan things out when even the biggest resellers don't know when to expect stock of items. I need a drive sometime this century! (yes, im impatient!)

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I just spoke with a Newegg rep and they mentioned that the new G2 item was temporarily/permanently deactivated because Intel could not provide any delivery commitment dates. Sweet.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i'm waiting for the new X-25 postville

and also for snow leopard to see if it's gonna recognize the SSD without any problem

the current EFI 1.7 is a real pain to find a SSD working correctly...

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I decided not to wait, I just bought a current gen Intel X-25 for $229 shipped from Newegg, I already have two of them in Raid 0 in my MP so I know the performance, and it's worth it, I'm not a patient person, I may upgrade to the new ones, but only when the 320gb version comes out!

Andrew

p3ncil

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
No point waiting.
Not much different in Gen1 and Gen2.

You'll only notice the difference in benchmarks.

TripleJJJ

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
No point waiting.
Not much different in Gen1 and Gen2.

You'll only notice the difference in benchmarks.

That's true for the performance level, but only the G2 might support TRIM, which will be or not a useful command for this drive.
The power required for the drive is also lower due to the 32nm burning.
I think the G2 is worth waiting.

p3ncil

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Maybe i have the concept of TRIM wrongly.

But why wait for TRIM when intel has done such a great job in preventing performance degradation on their last firmware issued for the gen1s? Reviews sites has shown that no matter how fragmented it became it still capped itself at 80mb/sec.

and if you are worried about wearing out the cells... well you have 3 years of warranty.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Maybe i have the concept of TRIM wrongly.

But why wait for TRIM when intel has done such a great job in preventing performance degradation on their last firmware issued for the gen1s? Reviews sites has shown that no matter how fragmented it became it still capped itself at 80mb/sec.

and if you are worried about wearing out the cells... well you have 3 years of warranty.

you got it right....

TRIM is already being integrated into most firmware's, like now the vertex. the os should never handle this, the firmware on the ssd should.

if you move the ssd from one machine to theother the firmware will still have record of its wear leveling.

glavoie84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I got tired of waiting, I ordered a geneneration 1 on clearance too...

Price on newegg.com: $229.99 USD = $253.335 CAD with today's exchange rate
Price on newegg.ca: $234.99 CAD

Pricematched on ncix.com, saved Québec taxes and got 2nd day airmail shipping for the same price as newegg.ca.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Yes, I'm aware it's $449 on Newegg.

But I'm thinking they will drop it further when G2 is available because G2 160GB will be $449.

In my conspiracy theory head, did you ever think that they're waiting until the Gen. 1's are gone before seriously releasing gen. 2? Give 'em a taste, get a buzz going, drop the price of Gen. 1 to Gen. 2 announced $'s, then recall Gen. 2 and sell the remaining stock of Gen. 1's at discount price.

They had an open box special the other night and I was all over that less than 10 minutes after listed. Gen. 1 160's, $309. Gone.

Newegg 15% coupon good for HDD's this weekend, went to order on Sunday and coupon wouldn't work. Limited funds for discount.:rolleyes: As much as I like Newegg, sometimes they drive me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.