Old vs. New X25-M - How many are waiting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thunder82, Aug 18, 2009.

  1. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #1
    I'm curious to know how many people are waiting for the new 34nm X25-M before purchasing. I'm finding myself checking newegg multiple times a day for the new drive, but it feels like its taking forever for Intel to provide stock to resellers. Is it just me? I would hate to order the older version, just to have stock arrive of the new unit tomorrow. I wouldnt think a simple firmware update (thats already been released to the public) would hold up the show this long!
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    I think you'll find many are waiting because the price of the G1 will drop or should and the G2 should be around $450, it was up for about 30 seconds one night and then gone again (at newegg.com).
     
  3. chriszzz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    #3
    That's what I'm doing. I'll wait until the G2 is readily available or the G1 drops so significantly in price that I can justify having "inferior" tech.
     
  4. Thunder82 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #4
    Prices listed on newegg for the G1 & G2 are the same ($449) so ideally it would make the most sense to wait for the G2. It's difficult to plan things out when even the biggest resellers don't know when to expect stock of items. I need a drive sometime this century! (yes, im impatient!)
     
  5. Thunder82 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #5
    I just spoke with a Newegg rep and they mentioned that the new G2 item was temporarily/permanently deactivated because Intel could not provide any delivery commitment dates. Sweet.
     
  6. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    #6
    i'm waiting for the new X-25 postville

    and also for snow leopard to see if it's gonna recognize the SSD without any problem

    the current EFI 1.7 is a real pain to find a SSD working correctly...
     
  7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #7
    I decided not to wait, I just bought a current gen Intel X-25 for $229 shipped from Newegg, I already have two of them in Raid 0 in my MP so I know the performance, and it's worth it, I'm not a patient person, I may upgrade to the new ones, but only when the 320gb version comes out!

    Andrew
     
  8. adamk77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    #8
    ZimZoomFly has the ETA 8/15/2009. Of course, it's not there yet still.

    It feels like I've been waiting forever. My OS X is acting weird and I've been putting off reinstalling it until I get the G2, but they're taking their sweet old time. I wish they would just hurry the hell up and ship it out and stop twiddling their thumbs over a firmware issue that Mac users don't have to worry about.

    Hopefully the G1 160 GB will drop to around $350 or lower, then I'm pouncing on that deal.
     
  9. p3ncil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #9
    No point waiting.
    Not much different in Gen1 and Gen2.

    You'll only notice the difference in benchmarks.
     
  10. adamk77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    #10
    lot of ppl are waiting for the price drop of g1 when g2 comes out
     
  11. TripleJJJ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    #11
    That's true for the performance level, but only the G2 might support TRIM, which will be or not a useful command for this drive.
    The power required for the drive is also lower due to the 32nm burning.
    I think the G2 is worth waiting.
     
  12. p3ncil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #12
    Maybe i have the concept of TRIM wrongly.

    But why wait for TRIM when intel has done such a great job in preventing performance degradation on their last firmware issued for the gen1s? Reviews sites has shown that no matter how fragmented it became it still capped itself at 80mb/sec.

    and if you are worried about wearing out the cells... well you have 3 years of warranty.
     
  13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

    MacModMachine

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #13
    you got it right....

    TRIM is already being integrated into most firmware's, like now the vertex. the os should never handle this, the firmware on the ssd should.

    if you move the ssd from one machine to theother the firmware will still have record of its wear leveling.
     
  14. glavoie84 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    #14
    I got tired of waiting, I ordered a geneneration 1 on clearance too...

    Price on newegg.com: $229.99 USD = $253.335 CAD with today's exchange rate
    Price on newegg.ca: $234.99 CAD

    Pricematched on ncix.com, saved Québec taxes and got 2nd day airmail shipping for the same price as newegg.ca.
     
  15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #15
    It's been dropped for at least two weeks. 160GB gen. 1 is $449 at Newegg.
    Was around $660 - 700 a few months ago.

    Crazy thing is Kingston X25 gen.1 is still listed at the $660 price.
     
  16. adamk77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    #16
    Yes, I'm aware it's $449 on Newegg.

    But I'm thinking they will drop it further when G2 is available because G2 160GB will be $449.
     
  17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #17
    In my conspiracy theory head, did you ever think that they're waiting until the Gen. 1's are gone before seriously releasing gen. 2? Give 'em a taste, get a buzz going, drop the price of Gen. 1 to Gen. 2 announced $'s, then recall Gen. 2 and sell the remaining stock of Gen. 1's at discount price.

    They had an open box special the other night and I was all over that less than 10 minutes after listed. Gen. 1 160's, $309. Gone.

    Newegg 15% coupon good for HDD's this weekend, went to order on Sunday and coupon wouldn't work. Limited funds for discount.:rolleyes: As much as I like Newegg, sometimes they drive me crazy.
     

Share This Page