Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Currently own a first generation 2.4 nvidia 8600 with 256mb video ram and was considering getting the 2.4ghz macbook to replace it. Technically they look to be comparable machines internally, even with the overhead of a shared bus.

The main reason for the change is that I would like something smaller for when I'm crammed into an air plain seat or at a conference trying to take notes. The 15" works but it feels rather large in these cases.

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
Currently own a first generation 2.4 nvidia 8600 with 256mb video ram and was considering getting the 2.4ghz macbook to replace it. Technically they look to be comparable machines internally, even with the overhead of a shared bus.

The main reason for the change is that I would like something smaller for when I'm crammed into an air plain seat or at a conference trying to take notes. The 15" works but it feels rather large in these cases.

I made the same switch from a 2.4GHz MBP (w/GeForce 8600M GT, 4GB RAM) to a 2.4GHz Alu Macbook (4GB RAM) and other than games (both computers are slow with games anyways - I never play games on a laptop, that's why I have a PS3 and Xbox 360), the Macbook feels the same as the MBP. In fact, it actually encodes a little faster than the MBP. I changed mostly because the GPU subsystem in the Macbook is now fast enough (Intel GMA X3100 or 950 really does not cut it), it is 1 pound lighter than the MBP, and it actually looks and feels like it was a smaller MBP (rather than a budget computer). Before I would never bring my MBP with me, but now with the MB, I always bring it with me because it can now nicely fit into my bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.