Older 2008 mbp display issue with pict

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryanhdd, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Ryanhdd, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

Ryanhdd macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok so I cannot upload the pict with the iPhone. But the screen is all small squares of black white with a few red green squares it's like large pixilation. It just started doing this in the last week. I have to reboot and it would clear up. Now rebooting does not work. Although I do see the cursor and there is nothing wrong with it. It looks normal. But the whole screen is jumbled. Any thoughts? Thanks

ok so i was able to get it to boot up in order to get this pict on here. So it boots per say, but it only looks like this. I can see the mouse and on occasion the beach ball i can see fine. but anything else just looks like the pict.

Attached Files:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Go into the Apple store, your graphics card, the nVidia 8600GT, has a known fault. You should be able to get your logic board replaced free of charge and sent on your merry way. They simply have to plug in a test HD in the MBP for a specific test to fail, and once that formality is done, you'll get your logicboard replaced. I've had mine replaced already, many users have had theirs replaced a few times.

Cheers!

3. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

I looked up what G card i have and it says ATY radeon x1600

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Then unfortunately you are not part of the recall.

If you are lucky, Apple will repair your computer for their flat repair fee which is around $300, if not, you're looking at roughly $700-900 for a new logic board and installation.

You may want to consider whether it is worthwhile to invest this much in a 5 year old machine.