Older 24" Al Imac for $800 a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Apr 2, 2009.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm not very familiar with imacs, but is $800 a good price for an older 2.4ghz 24" Aluminum iMac? I'll be able to check it out and all so it seems to be legit.

Thanks!

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

what do you mean by "older" but even when its the 1st generation 24" , and its in mint condition , its a good price!

3. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I guess it is the older generation imac. It looks the same as the new ones, but I know that the values of these things drop, so I'm just not sure of how much I should be paying.

But you think it is a good price then?

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Does it have, or does it qualify for, applecare? www.mac2sell.net gives appraisals of older machines for people wanting to trade their machines in for newer ones with their company. It's a bit of a lowball estimate, so if the rig you're looking over comes in for that price or lower, it's probably a good deal.

It doesn't sound like you're a power user, else you'd be asking if the machine can run (fill in the blank) well.

Unless you're a true power user, I doubt if you would tell a measurable difference between any core 2 duo models with at least 2 gigs of ram or more. I've got a white core2duo 20" imac in my office and it meets my simple needs exceedingly well. I have no plans or desires to upgrade anytime in the immediate future.

Again, make sure the thing is eligible for applecare. Unless you're an ubergeek or have the nerves or manual dexterity of a surgeon, it looks like a total PITA to open up iMacs for service.