older 8mm camcorder tapes...a bit jumpy...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

hi there,

wondering if anyone has any ideas why older (1993/94) camcorder tapes i'm transferring are jumpy in spots? the issues are:
    jumpy video (ie. starts then stops quickly...repeats...plays for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes then repeats).
    banding both vertical and horizontal and with snow or colouring. this usually happens and then the camcorder can't read the tape.

at first, I was thinking it was the camcorder heads, but i just ran a brand new digital 8 tape earlier today (mid afternoon so the camcorder had time to cool down). Different brands of tape too...maybe that's a difference?

The camcorder is the Sony DCR-TRV480. I never had problems these issues using my Sony TRV720, but mind you, i didn't try the same tapes in it....i'll try that as I post this here.

ugh.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

ugh. it's gotta be the 480 camcorder b/c the tapes are fine in my older camcorder. sure don't make things like they used to b/c i have put the old camcorder through the ringer, as 480 has been too, but it can't hold up.

aaarrrgghhh!