Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhino420

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Ive looked high and low but none of the discussions have worked for me. this is what I have. a 2nd gen time capsule running my network of timewarner modem. I just got airport express g older model and I want to use it as a ethernet bridge for my Denon Avr which is not wireless. I need help with making this aiport express a ethernet bridge so I can stream music over my Denon. Please help !!!!!!! I dont need the airport to extend my wireless network just to get my Denon online. Can anyone help

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Ive looked high and low but none of the discussions have worked for me. this is what I have. a 2nd gen time capsule running my network of timewarner modem. I just got airport express g older model and I want to use it as a ethernet bridge for my Denon Avr which is not wireless. I need help with making this aiport express a ethernet bridge so I can stream music over my Denon. Please help !!!!!!! I dont need the airport to extend my wireless network just to get my Denon online. Can anyone help

From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731:

While in client mode, AirPort Express with 802.11n will be able to use the Ethernet port to pass Wi-Fi traffic to a device connected to the Ethernet port. However, the original AirPort Express 802.11g doesn't support this feature and will disable the Ethernet port. Only compatible USB printers or audio devices are supported.

You can still try, maybe this information isn't up to date. Simply do this:

- Airport Utility 5.6 (older version)
- Manual Configuration
- Airport
- Wireless
- From the drop down menu select "Join Network" (I don't know the exact phrase, could be "Client Mode")
- A little checkbox should show up saying "Allow Ethernet Clients"
- select the checkbox and restart the APX

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i don't have any way to try this out, but from previous discussions on this, i believe if a G express is in extend mode (or WDS), the ethernet port will be connected to the wireless network. and since you're running an extreme as your main base, you should be able to try this out.

if the express is in join mode, you must have the newer N version.

-----
also small personal rant here, your post was up for 3 hours, before you started getting upset that you had no answers, i know it can be frustrating as you want an answer "now" but remember that all the answers here come from people helping out of their own goodwill, and due to the global nature of the net, and peoples odd schedules, sometime it will take a day or 2 before you get an answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.