Older Airport Express for audio only

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OXO, Dec 2, 2014.

1. OXO macrumors newbie

Hi,

I want to get an older Airport so I can stream audio to my hifi amp and speakers. I have iPhone, iPad, and windows pc.

Am I correct in assuming that older airports need setting up from a Mac, and there is no windows setup app? Could they be setup from the iPad?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

The current AirPort Utility v6.x is unsuitable for setting up these old Expresses. I am not sure how's the Windows version doing, but the Mac and iOS versions are not compatible.

PS On Windows, you might get the previous APU 5.6.x running more easily than on a Mac. That one can set you up the old Express as well.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can set up the old style 802.11N express with the current airport utility.
    You cannot do the even older 802.11G (pre 2008) version though.
    (they look the same, you have to check model # on the side)

on mavericks there was a trick to get the old version of airport utility running, not sure if it carries over to yosemite or not.

I was able to pretty easily find older versions of airport utility for windows online, so you may be OK even with the G version,

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If this AirPort is a wireless G model, you will need to use AirPort Utility 5.6.1. Apple hosts a download on their site for Windows and Corey J. Mahler created a launcher program for the Mac which works with Mavericks and Yosemite. It is available on his site.