Older Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Windows Expat, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Windows Expat macrumors member

Windows Expat

How are the older AE units by today's standards? I'm talking about the ones shaped like a large Apple TV unit, before they started making them tall. Would I see much difference in one of those versus an Asus AC3100 for instance?

2. Celerondon, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

The older AE units are fine for what they are. I use a generation 5 A1408 and it works great but it is not an AC unit. If you are asking if you see a difference between a modern AC specification router like that AC3100 and a 5-year-old unit the answer is yes. If you use AC devices then the AC unit will be much faster.

3. Fishrrman, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G3

I've had one of the older (flat style) Airport Extremes running for the last 6-7 years.
    Never a hiccup, just keeps going and going and going...

BUT --
    If I were to replace it today, I'd spring for one of the new "mesh-style" systems that have come onto the market within the last year. Indeed, I plan to do so within the next few months.

Having said that, if you need to replace your wifi router, and have access to one of the old AE's "for cheap" (I wouldn't spend more than $50 for one, if that much), it could serve you well enough.
    (Aside: you might be able to pick up the last-generation "tower" AE's on ebay for around $80-90)

But again, do some investigating on the new mesh setups (eero, google wifi, ubiquiti, netgear orbi, linksys velop). They're on the expensive side, but they do "deliver" ....

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I still have 3rd gen AE and still running awesome. Also have last gen (6th) AE too and still run fine.