Older ASD/AHT for PowerBook3,2?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SevenCities-PPK, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SevenCities-PPK macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Just downloaded all the ASDs the other day, hoping to get the one for the first generation Powerbook G4 ASD disc/DMGs, but alas, the oldest was 2.5.8, which lists these models:

• PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5GHz)
    • PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.67GHz)
    • PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz)
    • PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz)
    • PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.33GHz)
    • PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5GHz)
    • iBook G4 (Early 2004)
    • iBook G4 (14-inch Early 2004)
    • eMac (USB 2.0)
    • Power Mac G5
    • Power Mac G5 (June 2004 Series)
    • Power Mac G5 (Late 2004)
    • Power Mac G5 (Early 2005)
    • iMac G5
    • iBook G4 (12-inch Late 2004)
    • iBook G4 (14-inch Late 2004)
    • Mac mini
    • iMac G5 w/ALS (Ambient Light Sensor)

I did test this on a Powerbook5,6 (1.5GHz 15") and it came up and did the tests, but got a message that the older model wasn't supported by the software.

Any ideas on leads? I need to replace the optical drive in both anyway, but I know for sure I can USB boot on the PB56. Not so sure with the PB32 (makes terrible noises and is very slow to recognize a disc. No damage to the disc, though).

2. SevenCities-PPK, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

SevenCities-PPK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm...I tried the Resilio link here, and it didn't seem to work for a while. It's downloading now, all ~60GB, though it keeps throwing errors about illegal characters....Hopefully an older ASD is in among the goodies!

EDIT: Nope, looks like it downloaded a bunch of metadata and the folder structure.....:(

3. bjar macrumors regular

Did you try Macintosh garden? There is an image that is bootable and has a bunch of different versions of AHT on it.

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/apple-hardware-test-202-powermac-mdd

Download #5

4. SevenCities-PPK thread starter macrumors newbie

So this may be a super dumb question; how do I use the .sit and/or extracted .img to burn to disc? If I were to download the AHT-PPC-AIO_b1.img_.sit from the Mac Garden?

And it looks like it's either really difficult or not possible to burn a DMG to CD in Mojave. Not sure if I can get the older PowerBook3,2 to boot from USB, but that might be the only recourse left o.0

5. bjar macrumors regular

I used StuffIt expander to open the .sit. The opened the .img. Open disk utility and burned the image to a cd. I did all this in leopard. I think mojave can still burn a .img. Have not tried it.

6. SevenCities-PPK, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

Tried opening the .img file in Mojave, and this is the error I get.

Can I burn DMGs on Windows or Linux? Pretty sure I can burn IMGs.....
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    I'm gonna see if I can't get this burned to CD on the actual Powerbook3,2 :)

Alrighty, both PB 3,2 and 5,6 refuse to see a CD-RW and eject the disc :-/

Attached Files:

7. Raging Dufus macrumors 6502

Raging Dufus

Yes you can. I've used PowerISO with some success in the past from a Windows 7 PC. Keep in mind that it's shareware, and until/unless you pay for it, you'll be limited to file sizes of <300MB.

There are other options, too, but I have no experience with them. A quick search found this; just poke about the web and I'm sure you'll find something that will work for you.

8. SevenCities-PPK, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

Well, I had PowerISO installed, but the unregistered version. So I bought a license for $30, got it registered.

And while it can open and see the contents of the DMGs, it refuses to burn them to CD, with the attached screenshot of said error. Unpacking gives me several files that I'm not sure what to do with.

Also tried to restore one of these to a USB stick, on my PB5,6 running 10.5.8, and it kept failing with various error codes. I can get those if you think it might help.

EDIT: So I tried Transmac (I thought I had it installed) and it looks to be writing one of the older ASD DMGs to a CD-RW after a few weird false starts....I will see how this works

Attached Files:

9. bjar macrumors regular

Try downloading it again if you haven’t. I think I downloading something from that website a while back and got the same message. It wouldn’t mount. I downloaded again and it worked.

10. SevenCities-PPK thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, it worked. Except I found that ASD 2.1.5 doesn't support the PB3,2.

Which probably means it uses one of the AHT images?

11. bjar macrumors regular

Did that AIO-b1 image not contain the one you need? When you boot it should pop up with like 20 different AHT versions. I’m not sure which one your PowerBook needs but I think there are several that say PowerBook.

12. SevenCities-PPK thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said earlier in the thread, I can't get anything to recognize the .img file to burn it to disc. I might have to download each individual one and test it out; though if they're all .img I might just give up at this point -.-

13. bjar macrumors regular

Sorry I thought you said it had worked. When I get home Monday I will try to replicate the steps I took to make it work.

14. SevenCities-PPK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey hey, just wanted to check in with bjar on this one. Anyone know how to use these .img files to burn to disc? Windows or Mac (haven't really tried Linux yet) tells me it's unsupported or corrupt.

Also, wow, that Resilio Sync is actually ~156GB. Not a huge deal, but that's a lot more than I was expecting it to download!

15. bjar macrumors regular

If you are in mojave try going to disk utility. Click image in menu bar then convert. Select the .img and leave options as default. This will convert it to a dmg. After conversion I was able to open on mojave and burn to disk. You don’t need to do this in leopard which is what I used before. If that doesn’t work try downloading the file again. Mojave didn’t say it was corrupted for me but said it was a legacy image and needed to be converted.

16. SevenCities-PPK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm....I could have sworn I tried that on Mojave, but will give it a try now! I can try to convert at work (running Mojave) and just sneakernet it home!

So I did see that StuffIt Expander said to convert the legacy image (which I've seen at home).

And these options at default are Encryption: None, and Image format: Compressed, is that correct? I thought I would want read-only or CD/DVD master? I'l convert with the defaults and see how it goes, thanks for the tip!

Attached Files:

17. bjar macrumors regular

I sent you a PM