Older devices and OSX - still usable?

ategnatos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
I'm not really a Mac or apple guy and have never used OSX, infact the last Apple computer I would have ever I used would have been a Powerbook G4.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any issues in running High Sierra on a slightly older Mac for basic computer use? Will I have issues with software and getting it to run on this older OS?
I'm looking at a few older Macs, some of which don't support past High Sierra hence my question.

Also, as above a couple of the Macs I'm looking at are again slightly older 2012/2014 but do support up to Catalina which I think is the latest OS?
What would the OS support length be for these, and if/when they get unsupported I'm assuming it would be the same as the High Sierra whatever the answer for that is?

I have a newer Windows 10 self built PC as my daily gaming machine so the reason for getting a Mac is to have a basic computer elsewhere in the house likely connected to a TV and just to use OSX for the first time.

Thanks

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
It depends on the software you're using. You may want to contact the developer to find out if they plan to continue support for HS.

For example, I'm running a 2011 mini with HS. Everything's smooth, no issues. But I can't update Awaken, Pages, Numbers, iMovie, and Keynote from the Mac App Store. Also, Quicken states next year's version will not support HS.

What Macs are you looking at? Can you spring for one a year or two older to get on Catalina? Or do you. need High Sierra?

ategnatos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
It depends on the software you're using. You may want to contact the developer to find out if they plan to continue support for HS.

For example, I'm running a 2011 mini with HS. Everything's smooth, no issues. But I can't update Awaken, Pages, Numbers, iMovie, and Keynote from the Mac App Store. Also, Quicken states next year's version will not support HS.

What Macs are you looking at? Can you spring for one a year or two older to get on Catalina? Or do you. need High Sierra?
Looking at several Mac Mini's but no specific apps I need to run or know of right now.
Thinking of using it as a basic web browsing computer and basic HTPC.

The newest mini I've seen I think supports Catalina, might be a 7,1 if I remember correctly but need to go back and take a look.