Older iBook G4 question/help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Woogaloo, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Woogaloo macrumors newbie

So, I received a 12" iBook G4 from a friend. She said that they told her the motherboard/logic was going out, so she just decided to buy a new one instead of fixing it.

It's model #A1054 if that helps. Don't hold it against me, but I'm a Windows user for the most part because it's what I do at work, so I don't normally work on Macs. As far as I can tell this is the 1.0Ghz board. I am curious if I can remove this one and get the 1.2Ghz without any problems. I know that may sound like a stupid question, but like I said, I really don't know. :(

I figure for a free laptop, it's definitely worth putting a little bit into to fix it up. Also, where could I look, other than eBay to find a board for it?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

To me...its not worth the money and time to fix it. A new Logic Board can cost anywhere from $100-$400. I would just part it out and sell the parts off on eBay. You could get about $200-$300 for it.

3. nater. macrumors member

Take a look at this site -

http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/

I actually did the exact thing. Got an iBook from a friend that was having the same problem. Followed the directions and now I use it all the time. Been going for like a year now with the fix.

4. Woogaloo thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. I'll definitely have to try that out. Thank you!

5. vniow macrumors G4

Replacing the logic board on an iBook is very labour intensive and with a ridiculous amount of screws, I wouldn't do it unless you've had a good amount of experience taking apart machines and reassembling them...properly. If you're serious about getting it repaired, send it to this place. They rock, my shop outsources to them when a customer wants to pay for a logic board repair. Other than that, eBay/craigslist the thing.

6. Woogaloo thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck, just saying thanks!

Hey everyone. Wanted to first say thank you for all the responses that you have given. I opened up the iBook and found that it didn't have any problems with the chip that was mentioned. It was all intact so it actually just seems like a full board failure. :( I checked the board out for other problems and didn't seem to find anything else.

Oh well, least it partially works. I may not even bother with fixing it like noodle654 mentioned and just spare it out. It is a nice little laptop to mess around on though...when it works!

Thank you again everyone for your help!