Older iMac running very slow- do I need to upgrade RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgirl28, Apr 8, 2009.

1. macgirl28 macrumors newbie

I just received a iMac, Version 10.1.5, PowerPC G3, 128 MB RAM, 600 MHz, 38 GB hard drive (16 GB being used). This computer will be used by a older relative for very basic letter writing, Internet searching and email. I am pretty good at using the newer Mac computers but I am not familiar with this version. My problem is even if just using Netscape mail or Microsoft Word, more than half the time the busy circle shows up and I have to force quit the application. Since the system is older, would upgrading the RAM help the computer run faster or is this computer too out of date? This is the RAM I would most likely buy: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac (G3-600)

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks! :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did you make a Clean Install after you've got it?

Deleting all the old stuff that doesn't belong there anymore.

Also have you some old Mac OS Panther (10.3) lying around that you could throw onto that G3?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. macgirl28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did a clean install and it is working great!!! Thank you so much for the quick response and help.

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There are certainly a couple of things you can do to make that iMac G3 more "speedy", though nothing will ever make it as fast as today's computers for browsing the net.

First things first, pick up a 512mb stick of PC100/133 RAM and put it in there. They are cheap these days and will help a good deal. 1GB is max (2x512mb sticks) though there is no need to max it out for what you will be doing on it.

Next, if you have a spare PATA HDD laying around, install it. 60-80gb is fine. The old hard drive it clunky slow. Nothing over 128gb will be recognized by the machine.

Lastly, install OSX Panther or Tiger. Both will run fine, but I personally recommend Tiger since it allows you to run the latest version of Safari.