older imac usage and replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bigrw, Dec 10, 2015.

1. bigrw macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 imac which I no longer really use - except it's got a huge collection of audio books and music and podcasts which I want. They are all doule backed up onto external harddrives.

I'm thinking of replacing the set up with a decent spec 15 inch macbook pro and a monitor which i can use with my new job where I'll be out more. There's no good reason not to do this right?

Is it easy to transfer all my old podcasts and music to a new computer or even just use the harddrives?

What use can I make of the old imac which seems perfectly servicable? I have sonos at home and we have quite a few computers for various uses. Also time machine. There must be something useful it could do for me other than just a computer on a desk?

thoughts really welomed.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems like your needs changed and with your increased mobility needs, the MBP is a good alternative.

Migration Assistant will do this for you, fairly easily.

3. bigrw thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

I guess when I said is there no reason not to do it i meant should i be waiting for a newed 15" mbp?

thanks

4. bigrw thread starter macrumors newbie

Also - is there any obvious use I can put my old imac to?

5. Coldmode macrumors regular

You can find the answers to your questions on the MacBook boards and with the search tool on this board.