Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
With all the reading, rumors, and speculation going on I just want to ask a question of all you concerning older generation iPhones. Most of the information out there points towards Apple producing two phones, the iPhone 5 and the cheaper iPhone 4. Please allow me to speculate and say that if the new, cheaper iPhone 4 hits the market at $99, and the iPhone 5 takes over the $199 spot, what will/could happen to the current iPhone 4 models left in stock by the carriers? I've never fully understood what Apple does with the older units when they release a new model. Do you think it will still be offered for sale by the carriers?

Thanks!

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
They always do as you thought. Discount the old, sell it out, and in with the new at the same price point.

You can still pick up a 3GS today for $99.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
With all the reading, rumors, and speculation going on I just want to ask a question of all you concerning older generation iPhones. Most of the information out there points towards Apple producing two phones, the iPhone 5 and the cheaper iPhone 4. Please allow me to speculate and say that if the new, cheaper iPhone 4 hits the market at $99, and the iPhone 5 takes over the $199 spot, what will/could happen to the current iPhone 4 models left in stock by the carriers? I've never fully understood what Apple does with the older units when they release a new model. Do you think it will still be offered for sale by the carriers?

Thanks!

1 they will send back to apple to be replacement unit for warranty 2 they will be discounted at cheaper prices!

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Also Apple is pretty good at drying up distribution of products that are about to be replaced to minimize the amount of unsold units out there before announcements. So as soon as you start seeing retailers selling out of a product or inventory levels are getting smaller a new product is on its way.

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the info. The current iPhone would be a nice thing to have but I'm waiting to see what may be released. If it looks like the current iPhone 4 will work ok for me then I'm hoping for a great deal.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Another important thing that happened: after the iPhone 4 was released, AT&T continued to sell the 16GB and 32GB iPhone 3GS at a deeply reduced price, but stipulated on the receipt that these were closeout items that could not be returned or exchanged. You could do warranty replacements through Apple, but basically the understanding was they were getting rid of the inventory and sales were pretty much final at the cheap price.

At that point, 8GB iPhone 3GS models also went on sale for cheap, but with normal return/exchange policies. And during the 3GS era, only the previous-gen 3G model was sold with 8GB.

So, the same might happen again: AT&T and possibly Verizon will closeout their 32GB iPhone 4 models (and maybe their 16GB models) with an "all sales final" stipulation, and offer a low-capacity iPhone 4 that Apple will keep making as the "budget" version. I would hope it isn't 8GB again though. Maybe this time they'll keep making the 16, who knows?

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Honestly, the iPhone 4 would probably do everything that I need. Currently my only iOS device is an 8GB iTouch which even though it's billed as 3rd generation has the processor of the 2nd generation. So even the iPhone 4 would be leaps and bounds ahead of what I'm used to. If the 16GB is deeply discounted, I'll have a hard time convincing myself to shell out the extra money for the iPhone 5 unless it's just to have the latest. I do have to admit that I really like the looks of the 4, too.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
They always do as you thought. Discount the old, sell it out, and in with the new at the same price point.

You can still pick up a 3GS today for $99.

Its actually 49$ with 2 year contract and some of them are free( NOT REFURBISHED) but at Best Buy only.

Honestly, the iPhone 4 would probably do everything that I need. Currently my only iOS device is an 8GB iTouch which even though it's billed as 3rd generation has the processor of the 2nd generation. So even the iPhone 4 would be leaps and bounds ahead of what I'm used to. If the 16GB is deeply discounted, I'll have a hard time convincing myself to shell out the extra money for the iPhone 5 unless it's just to have the latest. I do have to admit that I really like the looks of the 4, too.

It was never billed as 3rd generation, they carried over the 2nd generation 8GB and only updated the 32 and 64 GB ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.