Older Mac Pro 2006 and problems that I want to fix before selling

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by npnovice, Apr 4, 2013.

1. npnovice macrumors newbie

I am getting ready to ditch my old computer and get something more current. I was hoping for a new mac pro. I have a great monitor. But I may have to settle for the mini. Probably way faster than what I have. Just sad at what the company is doing, but that's a different story.

It was purchased nov 2006. Dual 2.6. Since then I have added a 750gb hard drive and updated the graphics card to an ATI Radeon 3870. And the ram is 8g

So I need to sell the current one, but it has 2 problems that have been consistent for at least the last 4 years. Neither has affected the performance but both could impact a potential buyer.

1. the hard drive has an audible click/tick sound when the computer is running. about 1 second or more apart.

2. I got istat about 4 years ago. the CPU fan is always at 0. I've tried dusting it out and no improvement. I used to see high northbridge temps, but the current istat doesn't have that. But has cpu a and b at about 99 and expansion slots at 106. It has never caused any problems so far.

The only significant issue is that sometimes it doesn't like to stay sleeping.

It's probably not worth a lot but I have a bit of integrity at selling something with a full disclaimer. If it would help to fix it that would be great, but if it's going to cost more than I could get for the machine I would probably donate it. Just need to know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for your help.

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

1. Let the machine sit idle for 24 to 48 hours and then reboot, wait 30min. and see if it still clicks. If it does try turning off the dynamic_pager by entering:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist​

in the terminal followed by a reboot. You can turn it on again in case that's of no help with:

sudo launchctl load -wF /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist​

Between those two things the clicking should stop. If not and since you're selling it anyway just format the drive and reinstall the OS fresh. Then maybe additionally turn off the dynamic pager if it still persists. If it still persists ever after all that then that just the way the HDD is for some reason.

2. Yeah, that sounds bad. Visually check to see if the fan is turning at all. If it's not check and clean the wires and connectors and retry. If still no you may need to buy a new/used fan assembly replacement.

Take care of #2 before you tackle #1 ;).

For the sleep thing make sure you have the wake on LAN stuff turned off. Unplug the mouse/KB and NIC to see if it still does it - tho I guess the fresh install in #1 will cure it.

I think your machine can be sold for between $400 and $500. :) I see them with your same specs selling for both above and below that range.