Older Mac Pro 8800GT Won't boot from Leopard Install Disc

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Truz21, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Truz21 macrumors member

So i have a mac pro octo from May 2007. I upgraded to the 8800GT when they came out and not have any problems since.

Today I encountered some problems with my hard drive and am trying to boot from either my Mac Pro Install disc or my Leopard Install disc and get an error everytime.

When I try and boot from the disc it gives me an error and tells me i need to reboot.

I have found out through the apple discussion forums that Leopard Discs before 10.5.2 do not have the drivers for the 8800GT, and therefore will not let you boot.

What am I to do here. Is there any way I can get a newer leopard install disc?

It seems I am going to have to reinstall an Ati X1900 to get my own install discs to work. This is really annoying to me, this is an awful design flaw. How do they expect you to upgrade your mac pro and not have problems like this.

2. tobyg macrumors 6502a

This is well known and there are other posts in the forum about it.

Buy the newest Leopard which comes with 10.5.4 or try to convince Apple to send you new DVD's.

You should always keep the original hardware for your machine for warranty purposes anyway, so you may have to put your old card back in to reinstall Leopard if you can't get new DVD's.

3. Truz21 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm I see.

Well I do still have the old video card, but I dont have it here at my house now. So I can get it and reinstall it temporarily. Just a tad annoying, but I'll live.

However is there any way to find out what version of Leopard an install disc is? Does it say it on the box or packaging what iteration it is?

We have a handful of leopard discs at work that I may be able to use, just want to know if there is a way to tell what leopard version it is.