Older Mac Pro Frying Drives in Bay 1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JKingman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. JKingman macrumors newbie

Howdy...

I have an older Mac Pro (2008) that I took home from work (it was out of Warranty and kept eating hard drives). On the upside, it was replaced with a brandy new one at work. On the downside, it has since eaten two more drives at home. The 1TB TM drive (Slot 3) appears unaffected.

The questions:
    1) Is there any issue (or settings change besides clearing NVRam) that would prevent me from putting the boot disk on slot 3 and a TM disk on 4?

2) Has anyone seen this happen before? Any thoughts on what causes it? I can't even pull those (now failed) drives and evaluate them with another machine - they're totally fried :(

Thanks!

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

You can put the boot drive in any bay you want.
    One thing you could do is get a PCI-Express SATA card (or RAID) and connect your hard drives to it. It would bypass all the apparently defective SATA+power connexions.
    Have you tried replacing the circuitry on the dead hard drives? If you buy a similar hard drive (the exact same model) depending on the model, you can replace the board and rescue your data.

3. JKingman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Juanm,

I've done the replacement daughterboard trick before (no joy). But there wasn't a lot of data on there that wasn't already in a TM backup anyway.

I like the SATA card idea - may be a good path to follow. Thanks again :)

J