Older Macbook or Newer Netbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by makav3ll1, Aug 31, 2012.

1. makav3ll1 macrumors newbie

Im mostly looking at something along the lines like this - http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AO756-2808-11-6-Inch-Netbook/dp/B0083PR78C

But I may dive into my pockets a little bit more to shell out for an older pro or air. I was just wondering, what would be the difference between a Celeron 867/Pentium 967 vs an older Airs Core2Duo. What is more faster? I know these pentiums and celerons are newer, but I just hear bad things about them.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

The C2D is going to be a noticeable improvement on that netbook in performance. The newer laptops also have more battery life and are designed to be energy efficient. Remember that the estimated battery life of 4 hours is the maximum you will ever get on one of those and that will rely on your energy settings and will most likely get 2 hours at most if you're doing anything online. That will make it so that your portable machine will have to either be plugged in frequently, or that you'll need extra batteries throughout the day.

You won't find something at that price through Apple, but I would recommend a 13" MBP. You'll get more power, more RAM, longer battery life, better graphics, and overall performance. Plus, it's a safe bet that your machine will be useful for much longer than the netbook.

3. makav3ll1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks. So a c2d is still better then a newer celeron?

4. RedCroissant Suspended

You're welcome. And yes it is because instead of the single core that the Acer comes with, even the oldest version of the MBA had a C2D has two cores and faster as well.

5. makav3ll1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The acer I posted is dual core. And 4gb ram. Macbook airs I looked at are only 2 if not upgraded /: