Older Macbook OS upgrade available?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Loke2112, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Loke2112, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

Good morning,

I have an older 13" white macbook I purchased almost 10 years ago (Late 2007) that is still going strong but stuck with 10.6.8. I have done some searching to see if it can handle anything later with no luck. I want to use it as a music server but Im not getting support much longer or am already cut off by Spotify etc. Is there a OS it can handle and is there a way to acquire it? I really appreciate any help. Thanks for reading.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

My Powerbook from 2004 or 2005 came with Tiger I think, 10.4. It installed just fine through the two cd's, and then the software update which I run until it stopped showing me updates, upgraded me to 10.4.11.

I have not searched the (then not free for download) releases of 10.5. I am interested in this question, hopefully we have an awnsser soon.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The 2007 MacBooks are certified to run up to Mac OS X 10.7.5. I don't know if there is any trick/workaround to run a later OS release. You can check for yourself at everymac.com .

Another possibility is to run Windows or Linux on it.

Maxing out the RAM and swapping the hard drive for an SSD will improve the performance drastically but you may not need to do that to use it as a music server.

4. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Thank you for the info. Main concern is Spotify and AirFoil no longer supporting it with the latest features. Ill check out that site.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Spotify and Airfoil are currently supported for Windows 7.