Older MacBook Pro Issue: Heavy Pixelation, System Hang, and System Crash.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrheisman, Mar 28, 2011.

1. mrheisman macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 2007 MBP 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo. I upgraded the hard drive to a Seagate Momentus Hybrid SSD last week, and a few days after working flawlessly, I hear a click in the drive. I think nothing of it until I start ripping some DVDs, and the screen starts to pixelate heavily (see attached screenshots). I quickly closed all opened apps, and shut off the system for a bit (thinking it was getting too hot under the heavy load).

Anyway, I thought the click in the drive had caused some damage to the drive, so I boot via an external drive, and reattempt to rip a DVD. It worked as it normally does. Now convinced it's the hard drive acting up, I fire up TechTool Pro, and scan the machine. But, after a full scan, no errors were found.

Finally, today I figured I'd give it another shot. I start ripping the DVD, and now not just did the screen pixelate, and freeze, it actually went black and the system rebooted itself.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Can a video card that's going bad, reboot the system automatically? Or is really just a bad hard drive? (Keep in mind, this issue only arises when the machine is under load.)

Thanks for any help. (Pictures attached.)

Attached Files:

2. mrheisman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I forgot to add this photo of the issue.

Attached Files:

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Your video card/chip likely is going down the tube.