Older MacBook Pro or Current MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stephen Dowling, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hey everyone, I hope all of you have been having a great week! This past Tuesday I sold my 13 inch MacBook Pro because I really need a 15 inch screen. If you've read any of my other posts, you should know that I LOVE to ask other people's opinions before I make a big purchase. So, here is the question: Should I be computer-less for a while and buy a refurbished MacBook Pro, or should I buy a Pre-Unibody MBP now?

I know about the whole 8600GT being a so called "time bomb" and I also know that it's about time for Apple to roll out their new MBP's. I just want to ask for your opinions. Also know that I'm a High School student and my parents make me pay for everything my self. So my limit as of now is about $1,000.

Thanks a ton,

Stephen.

2. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I think you'll have a tough time finding a unibody that fits your budget. There are some deals to be had on the pre-unibody models, though.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

$1000 for a Unibody is a stretch. Cheapest I've seen is $1200 for a 2.4GHz Late 2008 unibody. It had no warranty and some dings and scratches at that.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Avoid the 8600GT model. Apple will cover you if you have Applecare, and even then it's only up until 3 years. Otherwise you're as good as screwed.

There were a few original unibody MBP that were just over 1,000 a little while ago, but I think they've sold out.

Bottom Line: Pay up OR go for the 13" OR *gulp* buy a PC

5. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Thanks for your replies, but I can save up if I need too! I just want to know if it's a good idea or not to go for an older MBP. Either way, it will be better than my last one!:D

Thanks,

Stephen

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would avoid the Early-2008 MacBook Pro (pre-unibody) as well. Apple will cover you for the 3 years from the original date of purchase but I don't know why you would put yourself in that situation knowing that there will be a good chance it will fail on you after Apple's 3 year program. If you know you won't really benefit from the rumoured hardware in the new MacBook Pro, your best to save the most money is to look for a refurbished base model of the unibody MacBook Pro.

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I would say a unibody is always the way to go at this current time. Save up a bit more and get an amazing machine!

8. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

I agree that the unibodies are great machines, but I can get a really good machine for a really good price if I go a generation or two back. I know a lot of people that have the ealier MacBook Pros that have never had any problems. Thanks for all of your replies, but keep them coming!

Thanks,

Stephen!

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Not all of the 8600s go out, youve been trolling the gpu threads too much. For OP, the unis are marginally faster, unless your wanting to use an SSD then a uni will be quite faster. Late 08 still has multi touch, if your wanting to save $ then the older ones are the way to go. Unis just dont have a big enough upper hand for me to say their better.