Older MacBook Pro, Small Liquid Spill

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by homebrewz, Mar 23, 2009.

1. homebrewz macrumors newbie

homebrewz

Hello,

My girlfriend has an older Mac Book Pro.. I would have to say its around 4 or
    5 years old. Sorry, I don't have a model #. She recently spilled approximately 1 to 2 tablespoons of beer near the top center of the keyboard. She was watching a video online, and she said the machine froze. She shut it down, and left it open and upside down to dry out.

She called and the mac store and they told her to bring it in. When she got there, they told her it was a minimum of $1200 just to open it up, and that she shouldn't even bother since it was an older model. They did not tell her this over the phone, and at 2 hours away, this was the closest Mac store.
    You can guess her reaction.

So, I'd like to know if you think there is any hope for the machine.. she tried it power it up a day later and it would not turn on.

Also, does the experience at the mac store sound about average, or unusual?

Much thanks,
    Bernd,
    Upstate, NY

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

$1200??? Find another Mac store. When I was in a similar position, my local certified retailer charged me $100 for an assessment.

However, if the spill damaged her logic board, that's the repair bill you'd be looking at. Find someone trustworthy to take a look at it.

3. Jpoon macrumors 6502

1200$ just to crack it open and test it is exorbitant.

Get a second opinion somewhere else.

4. homebrewz thread starter macrumors newbie

homebrewz

I suspected that "minimum fee" was odd. It was the Apple store in Albany, NY. Perhaps it is an independently owned franchise?

She's going to get a second, or third opinion somewhere else. Thanks for the replies.