Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
2010 MacBook Pro 13 C2D 2 core 2.3ghz 8gb 500gb prefect cond: 400
2011 MacBook Pro 13 i5 2 core 2.3ghz 4gb 320gb perfect cond: 500
2012 MacBook Pro 15 i7 4 core 2.3ghz 4gb 500gb good cond: 500

The 15 has a loose b key and broken space bar, a few minor dents and scratches. The other two are flawless.

I'm torn! Thoughts?

Will be used for learning swift/iOS dev/Xcode and unity 3D as well as general computing.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I would definitely lean towards the 15" 2012 Quad Core i7 with the following caveat: check with your nearest Apple Service Centre or preferably genius bar if the b key and space bar are repairable, and if so, at a reasonable cost, and see if the seller is willing to have this done prior to the sale, or otherwise make a reasonable downward price adjustment to reflect these defects. All this assuming of course there are no other deficiencies with the unit, aesthetic blemishes aside. If the seller is evasive or dismissive about these important problems, run, don't walk.

Second choice would be the 2011 13" dual-core i5; offer a bit less and see what happens. Remember all these above units are fairly easily upgradeable with additional memory and/or storage.

I would however stay away from the 2010 c2d; aside from being underpowered for your intended purpose, it'll be vintage next year, and obsolete/legacy within two years thereafter. Good Luck!

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
I work with all the sellers, at a big company, so I feel pretty safe in what they disclose. I am planning to replace the two keys, it looks easy enough and isn't too expensive. So I guess the price is already adjusted for condition. I still feel its probably the best deal of the three? But the i5 would bet the job done, and the smaller size and condition are pluses. Maybe I could get it down to 480.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
If your definition of "general computing" includes using Handoff between your Mac and an iPhone, I'm fairly sure that only the newest of the three supports it. (I know my late-2011 MacBook Pro does not.) There are work-arounds for older models, I've looked into them for my MBP, but they're a royal pain in the whatever and apparently don't always work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.