Older Macbook with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by firlrumors, Feb 9, 2010.

1. firlrumors macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1Go 667 MHz and i'm about to change the internal drive for a WESTERN SCORPIO 640GB SATA 150MB/S 2.5IN LP 5400RPM 8MB.
    So i'm wondering if i should reinstall the original OS (10.4.8) which i was using until now, or if i should buy and instal the latest Snow Leopard OS. I'm just a bit worried that the new OS will be heavier so slower for my 2 years old laptop.
    what do you think is best for this machine?
    I'm mostly working with music, Ableton Live, Logic Pro and stuff like that, and a bit of photoshop.
    thank you so much for any advice.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would stick with Tiger on that machine. Tiger will run smooth with those specs. Snow Leoard would run - but I wouldn't expect much with the low ram. Also, Snow Leopard may be incompatible with certain versions of Photoshop and other apps.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

More RAM. You can fit 3GB (1 - 1GB, 1 - 2GB) max, although 2GB will work great too. Snow Leopard will run just fine on that.

4. greg400 macrumors 6502

I was running Snow Leopard on my Core Duo MacBook Pro when it had 1GB of RAM and it was running alright. I eventually beefed my machine up to the max RAM possible (2GB) and it runs a lot smoother than prior, but it was by no means terrible with 1GB. I say go for Snow Leopard, you get the correct gamma setting(Leopard and Tiger's 2.2 setting is MUCH darker than Snow Leopard's 2.2) and some added advantages of the Snow Leopard foundation.

If my 32-bit Core Duo MacBook Pro can run Snow Leopard great, i'm positive your Core 2 Duo will run it even better. Just make sure to clean install it for little to no problems.

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Go with snow leopard if you increase your RAM. If not, stay with Tiger.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple: