Older Macintosh Systems Are So Nice!

pl1984

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I have an old Macintosh IIci that is in excellent condition. Despite this I decided it was a good idea to recap the motherboard and cache card. While I can do this work myself I decided it would be easier to just send the motherboard and cache card off to have it performed by someone who does it. To remove these two components was so easy! One single screw was all that needed to be removed. Everything else just slide apart. Took all of five minutes and that was being careful as it was my first time.

What a far cry from today's glued together Macintoshes.

Reactions: Nermal

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
While not exactly super easy, the Power Macintosh 9500 is also (reasonably) easier to work on than glued parts. As painful as it is to access the RAM, at least I can replace all the RAM modules. And while the 5MB/s SCSI isn't anywhere near the speed of the newer Mac's NVMe storage, at least I can replace it myself when (not if) it fails...

pl1984

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Then there's the Quadra 800/840/Power Mac 8100. Internal razor blades, case parts made of tissue paper and balsa wood...
Hard to believe there was a time when these models were considered difficult to upgrade.
[doublepost=1550021422][/doublepost]
A lot larger larger and less portable, as well.
It's a lot more portable than a current generation iMac.

CooperBox

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
France - between Ricard & Absinthe
Yet the Titanium PowerBook is still quite portable and still quite serviceable...

Even the unibody MacBooks are ridiculously serviceable compared to the current glue.
I agree. Having completely refubished my Titanium PBook and 13", 15" and 17" Unibody MBPros they are easy to get into and a delight to work on.
Just this week I removed the back cover from a little-used 2012 MBPro Retina to give it a spring-clean inside - and didn't those fans and exchanger cooling fins just need it! Whilst inside I was reminded of the soldered-to-motherboard RAM. Ugh - disgraceful, totally unnecessary, user un-friendly engineering. Just one reason I haven't bought another new portable Mac since 2012. The earlier machines being totally upgradeable and still a joy to use.

captainfamicom

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2018
Atlanta
Just working on a buddy's Colour Classic is simple. Easy access to much of what you need, and not that hard to upgrade (as long as you replace the CRT with an LCD for more versatility and room).