Older MBP Battery Replacement Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbsmithmac, May 3, 2013.

1. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

I have a mid-2009 MBP Unibody (MacBookPro5,5, MB990LL/A) that could use a new battery as it looses about 15-20% of a full charge in sleep mode over 8 hours...and will be completely depleted in about 2 - 3 hours of use.

It does have a samsung 830 SSD in it with a fresh install of ML, but other than that its bone stock still working well.

That said I know Apple will replace the battery for $130. I don't mind paying this but for something this simple the Apple Store is a bit out of my way to make it worth it (1 hour car ride each way).

So I've seen many places selling a battery to replace mine with, but how do I know what to buy - search by Apple Part number? Are ebay batteries OK? I know some will say this is why you pay the $130 to Apple - which I'll do if I'm not confident I'm buying the right thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Don't buy cheap batteries.

Of all the stories you'll see of batteries burning/exploding it's always the cheap Ebay batteries that do it.

Just my insight. I would never use a cheap battery.

3. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

^^ Yeah I won't (I've got lots of horror stories from RC Lipo's). Just with computer batteries I don't know where to buy from.

I've looked at ifixit, but for their price I should just make the trip to the apple store since it's not much more.

If the apple store is the way to go, then that's what I'll do - just looking to see what others recommend.

4. Bear macrumors G3

In this case you won't really save money by going non-Apple so you may as well pay Apple to do the work.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Agreed, go with Apple. And if anything messes up, they'll be responsible.

6. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular